Simple payment question - late payment

I'm getting to the very end of my listings then will take a break.

I have one buyer who hasn't paid for a $140 item yet, and he sent me a message saying he had some unexpected bills related to his kids and asked if I could relist the item. This buyer has bought from me over a time period, and I said, sure I can relist it, or if he prefers just hold onto it until he has the spare cash.

He got back to me saying he should be ok at the end of the month ... ie , a month from now.

That's all good by me. Is the Ebay system going to let me hold off until then [it's already 2 weeks since sale date] ... or is there some time limit on payments to be made? Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

No time limit on payment. 

Cancel the sale as buyer request, or you can even use non payment,   and forget about it,  they are pulling your chain.  $120 is worth being time wasted

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I was sure I’d come across information about a time limit… and yes. You only have 30 days within which to cancel. If your buyer cannot pay within 30 days and you let it run beyond that time, you can’t cancel and get back your fees.

It's important to cancel any unpaid items within 30 days from the day the buyer commits to buy so the item can be relisted.

— https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Cheers.

If there's no time limited on payment I'll just leave it in place for a month. No big deal to me.

The person actually collects the same stuff I collected [Japanese pressing jazz LPs] so it's more of a collector-to-collector thing, than a money thing. He's also bought maybe $750 worth of stuff from me in the past few months. 

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

There is a time limit. As I quoted, you have 30 days. If your buyer for whatever reason doesn’t pay within 30 days, you cannot recoup your fees.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

There is a time limit. As I quoted, you have 30 days. If your buyer for whatever reason doesn’t pay within 30 days, you cannot recoup your fees.

There is but there isnt.  Yes 30 days if you want your fee's back.  But if as this person is insistent (not sure why),  they are sure the seller will pay,  there is no time limit on the actual payment being made.  Personally I wouldnt take the risk and cancel now,  but the seller seems desperate for the money.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

If I had sold $750 worth to a particular buyer in the last few months, and the  buyer had politely then explained that he could not pay as expected for a further item, and invited me to re-list; I would weigh the potential of losing eBay fees on $150 (whatever that is) against the putative sale of the $150 item AND maintaining a good relationship with someone whom I hoped would buy again from me in the future. Seems the OP has decided which way he will jump.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Not sure why the OP asked the question.

They already knew what they are going to do.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Have experienced same thing in the past.....between 28 & 32 days has been my experience.....once gone, you are stuffed! Try to encourage sooner payment....otherwise....MOVE ON!

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Why not just cancel - problem with address - and relist if & when ready.

You obviously have good communication.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply