Since when is it acceptable to set the status to Posted, when the carrier doesn't have the item

1075nat
Community Member

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this. Lately, I've had items that have been allocated tracking ID and the status is set to "posted" but the carrier doesn't actually pick up the item for a week (in the case of couriers).  The postage terms on the items have been "will post within 3 days" but the postage ends up taking 2 weeks from interstate (and that is without the COVID delays).

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Since when is it acceptable to set the status to Posted, when the carrier doesn't have the item

Once a label is generated through eBay, regardless of the carrier, the item is marked as posted. If it is a courier, I imagine the seller can't get an item picked up until they have generated the correct paperwork.

Your beef is with eBay. They are the ones who normally mark items as posted when they aren't. Some sellers might, but that wouldn't be the norm.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Been that way for a very long time as far as I am aware, certainly not new or unique anyway

Assuming a postal label has been generated for the item,of course 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I don't use ebay postage labels....but as soon as I upload tracking, ebay marks it as posted
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

This is nothing new, it is marked as "posted" as soon as a shipping label is created and a tracking number is allocated. However, if you click on the shipping number, it says that shipping information has been received by Australia Post (can't talk about other carriers)

Have you only just noticed this? It has been going on since the year dot.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@1075nat wrote:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this. Lately, I've had items that have been allocated tracking ID and the status is set to "posted" but the carrier doesn't actually pick up the item for a week (in the case of couriers).  The postage terms on the items have been "will post within 3 days" but the postage ends up taking 2 weeks from interstate (and that is without the COVID delays).

You seem to be confusing the time to post, which is not the delivery time frame. If you need your items immediately, why not buy from a physical store instead?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

It's been like that for a long time and let me tell you, it doesn't just apply to ebay purchases. With just about any company, when you buy online, you will eventually get a shipping notice but it may be followed later that day or the next day by a notice that says it has now been lodged at the PO.

The first notice is really just an indication that the labels have been generated and it is being packed. Or that is how I take it.

If you want to gauage how long Aust Post is taking, best to judge it from the second notification, the one where it is actually noted as lodged at the PO.

If it arrives at the PO within 3 days and the ad said it would be posted within 3 days, then the seller has abided by the terms. Two weeks from interstate isn't fast, but then again, if you have had notifications it is on its way etc then it shouldn't be a problem. What were teh estimated dates of delivery? I find that anything interstate usually shows as 7-10 days for me so 14 days isn't too bad.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply