Smoke free / Pet free homes - WHY no pets?

aspie*mum
Community Member

I sell clothes, and have on eBay for 10 years.  I keep my TOS to a bare minimum (people rarely read them anyway) so don't mention my home is smoke free; I feel in this day and age that should go without saying.  

When someone asks me if my home is smoke free, I am happy to confirm that.

But I don't get "pet free".  What is wrong with pets?

I sell clothes - my dog/cat/bird/stick insect/snake/rabbit whatever other animal I might have, DOESN'T wear the clothes....so why would it be relevant?  What is wrong with buying from a home that has pets?

I've always wondered?  If you buy something from online, chances are you will wash or dry clean it before wearing it (and if you buy from the shops as well) as who knows who has tried it on or worn it before you!  So that would take care of any allergy issues.

So why no pets?  I tend to think people who dislike pets are angry people, therefore troublesome eBayers, therefore best to block them as soon as they ask the "pet free" question.

I have just replied to someone "My home is defiantly smoke free.  I am a proud pet owner, but please, rest assured that none of my pets wear any of the clothes I sell".

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

People would probably go to the trouble of asking if they have allergies - my cousin had chronic asthma and pet hair would also cause a real problem.

The thing is, even though your pets might not actually wear the clothes, and they are washed etc, it is always a possibility that stray pet hair will attach to the clothes. Often it's quite fine (especially cat hair) so can be easily missed. 

Message 2 of 73
Latest reply

I can understand it for second hand stuff, especially clothes, soft furnishings etc.

I have a maltese shihtsu and her hair gets on everything, you cant see it lying around on the carpet and furniture, but everytime I vacuum it looks like I've vacuumed up a whole dog 😮 It shouldnt matter too much if you are selling stuff thats brand new in packaging though.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 73
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Having received items that have been peed on by CATS I actually really appreciate it when sellers are alert or caring enough to mention pets in their listings. Stray pet hairs I can live with, cat pee is a big NO for me though, especially when the items can't be washed.

Message 4 of 73
Latest reply

Having received items that have been peed on by CATS I actually really appreciate it when sellers are alert or caring enough to mention pets in their listings. Stray pet hairs I can live with, cat pee is a big NO for me though, especially when the items can't be washed.

If someone is going to send you something that's been peed on by a cat, I don't think they'd have any problem lying about having pets in the home. That's appalling!

I think that many new members see it on so many listing they think it's important to add when they start selling.  

Message 5 of 73
Latest reply

Some buyers who are legit in being alergic to pets (I feel so sorry for them) - should buy everything new, from the stores - but In US or a country like France even that wouldn't ensure hair free garments as dogs are allowed to the stores, with customers or the owners of the stores, into the restaurants, into 5 star holets, on planes, trains, hospotals.. etc.

It's a bit unrealistic to expect to buy second hand items from people's homes (as that would mean that only people with no pets and non smokers are allowed to sell on Ebay) and not contend with whatever habits previous owner may have had. As well as very rude. Fancy asking someone if they have a dog or if they smoke - and  that being directly related to weather they buy from them or not.

It really is none of their business - just the same as asking do they cook curry every day, or what nationality are they, as some people might be offended in the strong smell in an old sofa!

It wouldn't even occur to nit pickers to go and spend some serious money on a brand new item - instead they make demands and expect things to be almost sterile and pristine for the miserable few dollars they may spend - like it's their God's given right to do so!

Message 6 of 73
Latest reply

I don't mention pets on my listings because I don't have any, however I do mention smoking on every one of them, as my home is a smoking home and I pefer to be upfront and honest about it - I've seen people blame open fireplaces, bushfires, the van driver, and the list goes on.  My items are aired outside usually overnight (except for those containing lavender) and this usually rids them of the cigarette odour.  However, I accept no responsibility for people who don't bother to read my TOS (I go so far as to suggest they don't buy!), and complain afterwards about cigarette odour; only happens occasionally.

And just in case there's anyone reading this and thinks, as one person did, that I shouldn't allow smoking inside when I make baby items, smoking is not a criminal offence - it's a personal choice:-)

Message 7 of 73
Latest reply

It's a bit unrealistic to expect to buy second hand items from people's homes (as that would mean that only people with no pets and non smokers are allowed to sell on Ebay) and not contend with whatever habits previous owner may have had. As well as very rude. Fancy asking someone if they have a dog or if they smoke - and  that being directly related to weather they buy from them or not.

It really is none of their business - just the same as asking do they cook curry every day, or what nationality are they, as some people might be offended in the strong smell in an old sofa!

Asking a question so that a buyer can make an informed decision that accounts for their preferences and/or needs does not equate to a demand that each individual seller caters to those preferences and needs.

To say so is like saying a buyer who asks "is the fabric stretchy?" is demanding everything they buy is stretchy. o_O

Message 8 of 73
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Unfortunately I think some sellers become "immune" to cigarette smoke and cat pee - they don't even think to mention these things which is why some buyers who have been burnt (no pun intended) feel the need to ask the question of the seller.

I don't make a habit of asking - but tend to support those sellers who make mention in the listing. That way I can make an informed decision and weigh up the risks.

Because I have experienced the stence of smoky items and those that smell strongly of cat pee I now know it is considerate to mention if items have a potentially offensive smell for whatever reason (including items that might smell musty from being in storage).

I received some smoky items and I am STILL trying to get rid of the smell weeks/months later. Unfortunately I can't wash these items.

Message 9 of 73
Latest reply

Chezzy - I have never heard of anything that smoke smells stay in for months.
It ceratinly doesn't mean item like that doesn't exist, just can't think what it may be!

But if it's clothing or textile items smoke smell goes within hours, even without washing, or with dry cleaning. (it reminds me of clubs few years ago, so full of smoke that all your clothes are reekeng, then your car is reeking on the drive home while you're sitting in it).

If it's curtains or furniture, steam cleaning gets rid of it straight away. And if they were second hand items chances are they were much cheaper than brand new so you are still way ahead even with cleaning bills.

I just don't get it - and never will - what is it with second hand buyers even thinking of asking sellers about their smoking or pet ownership - unless it's toxic substance, like nerv gas or radioactive or something - and will seriously endanger life.

Smoking smell has nothing on car fumes - just step out into the trafic anywhere - anytime.

Message 10 of 73
Latest reply