The hide of some buyers!!! Haha

b5mech
Community Member

What would you do if you quoted someone for postage using the Australia Post website and the cubing function which you have to do on the website, turns out to be $30. You go and post the item but the Australia Post cashier doesn't cube the parcel so it turns out to be $10 cheaper. Am I expected to give a refund to the buyer??? LOL...I've recently had a someone say they require a refund for the difference in postage price. I don't think buyers understand that bubble wrap, boxes, sticky tape and my time answering your stupid questions costs money too. Are sellers now giving out refunds for this???

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

There's a simple answer to that question - Yes !!

I make it really explicit in my listings that I charge only what the postage actually costs + $1.00 handling for the cost of wrapping materials and the time it takes me to package and post.

Then if I have miscalculated the postage (due the item weighing less than I thought and therefore attracting less postage) I refund.

This seems to me the right way to go with the selling end of the transaction and I've gained a lot more by adopting this approach, due to the trust it creates in buyers, than I would by holding on to a few extra cents that I'm not entitled to anyway!

Once buyers know you are honest and feel they can trust you as a seller, they keep coming back for more.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Hi,

I would give them the $10.00 refund.

Regarding "bubble wrap, boxes, sticky tape and my time etc" of course that costs you, so build it into the price of the item/s that you are selling.

That way you can avoid hassle and delays come postage time.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Mike

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Of course you give the refund and email to say what you are doing and why. What sort of person are you? We all have the issue of acquiring boxes, tape, bubble wrap...not to mention different varieties of polystyrene in solid sheet and film and all the running back and forth to the post office. It is hard work and takes me one whole day a month just to acquire enough packaging to last a month. Try adding a small nominal amount as a handing fee to cover things like tape. I've had to do that but would never withhold overpayment on postage...what is just wrong.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

I don't think buyers understand that bubble wrap, boxes, sticky tape and my time answering your stupid questions costs money too. Are sellers now giving out refunds for this???

Are you sure you are really cut ut to be an online seller?

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

I give refunds most of the time if it's over a few bucks. It's just the right thing to do.
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

@b5mech wrote:

What would you do if you quoted someone for postage using the Australia Post website and the cubing function which you have to do on the website, turns out to be $30. You go and post the item but the Australia Post cashier doesn't cube the parcel so it turns out to be $10 cheaper. Am I expected to give a refund to the buyer??? LOL...I've recently had a someone say they require a refund for the difference in postage price. I don't think buyers understand that bubble wrap, boxes, sticky tape and my time answering your stupid questions costs money too. Are sellers now giving out refunds for this???

Of course I'd refund.

My postage quotes are based on what AP charges, and I don't use them as an opportunity to gain profit (intentionally or unintentionally). If for any reason the costs are less than anticipated, that's generally a bonus for the buyer, who is paying for the service - the profit on the item is my bonus. (I say generally because I wouldn't refund negligible amounts). 

$10 is a significant difference and it's understandable - to a degree - if the buyer is upset, more or less so depending on if there are any extenuating circumstances, including whether there was any communication about P&H prior to purchase. Wait until you strike a buyer who wants a 20c refund because you charged them $2 and used $1.80 worth of stamps...

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

If the answer to the question was something that was included in the listing, then you COULD construe it as stupid. Or that the buyer didn't read the description, which is more likely.

If the answer was not covered in the listing, then there is a fair chance the stupidity is reversed.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Just remember with a feedback score of 15 the first neg will destroy your rating, all over something you should have refunded automatically

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

If you regard buyers' questions as 'stupid' and a waste of your time, I certainly would steer clear of you and would not be interested in buying from you.

This sort of attitude is what gives sellers a bad name, and we other sellers definitely don't wish to be 'tarred with the same brush' as you by buyers !!!!

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply