This email from a customer:

"Unfortunately I have not received this item. I used the supplied tracking number
and Australia post says that it has been delivered to my address and was left in
my letter box. They left it without signature in an unsecured location, so it
may have been stolen. Is it possible you could send me a replacement item
through a more secure postal service?"

I feel bad saying no but surely as item was delivered I am not responsible for item being stolen. Shouldn't customer take this up with Aust. Post only?. Also is it practice in certain locations to leave a parcel instead of usual method of leaving a card and customer picking it up at the PO? It was sent by 500g ebay satchel with tracking number..

Also if buyer leaves a negative if I decline can it be removed by ebay as it would be unfair?

thanks for any comments....

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a safer postal servioce?

Tell em Superman is busy.

No, you're not responsible for replacing the lost item.

If it is inexpensive, it may be a nice gesture to do so though.

BUT, a really nice seller would follow this up with Aust post and pursue a refund fro the customer.

I'm pretty sure it is the seller who has to do this as the seller has the receipt etc and posted the item but I'm sure someone will be along to contradict me shortly if I am wrong.

BUT as a seller, I would be doing everything within my power to help out my cistomer.

as for the removal of neg feedback, will depend on what they say

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

yep if it is saying delivered on the Aus post website nothing you can do. All normal parcel will be left unless you attach a do not safe drop sticker or unless it is sig on delivery and no one is home. Tell your buyer to take it up with AP.

Go to the AP website a take a screen shot of the tracking number saying delivered incase you need it. I would think if the buyer left a neg it would be removed if it could be proved it was sent.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

a safer postal servioce?

Tell em Superman is busy.

No, you're not responsible for replacing the lost item.

If it is inexpensive, it may be a nice gesture to do so though.

BUT, a really nice seller would follow this up with Aust post and pursue a refund fro the customer.

I'm pretty sure it is the seller who has to do this as the seller has the receipt etc and posted the item but I'm sure someone will be along to contradict me shortly if I am wrong.

BUT as a seller, I would be doing everything within my power to help out my cistomer.

as for the removal of neg feedback, will depend on what they say

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you!

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

My first question is how did they know it was delivered to their letter box? I smell a rat. Presumed stolen?  I'm just not feeling right about this one! Sorry!

Under 500g parcels are now often delivered by the regular postie as a cost cutting measure by AP, not the parcel guy in his van, who actually will come to your door.

I now send under 500g in big boxes to avoid the letter postie service, when I can. I'd ask for more info from the customer & lodge a lost parcel at my local PO. Explaining all to the buyer as to how it's not your fault the parcel may have gone astray & that you will work with them to find a resolution.

I'm a happy customer of the OP who supplies quality products that last a long while & do the job intended. Just trying to help in my own way!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

If a parcel is showing the tracking as delivered, Aust Post deal with the buyer. They won't even mutter a word to help the seller.

Of course, getting a miffed buyer to go into the post office to fill out forms is a bit of an art form.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Ambridge; The bit that got me wondering form the OP statement was "left in my Letterbox mail box "or similar statement above. To me it inplies that the buyer received the item? Saw it poking out of the top of the letterbox?  Maybe not entirely happy with purchase but won't go there? Wants a freebie? Online shoplifter. The options are endless!

My regular postie leaves all sorts hanging out of or poked into our mail box on a semi busy road. Rain hail or shine. A lot are books without adequate inner wrappings from Book Depository for my daughter.

Our parcel guy always comes to the door. Nice young lad! As stated I've bought from the OP some years back. Products are brilliant! Which makes me wonder is this a try on?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The way it was worded made it seem that Australia Post had said they had delivered it and put it in the letter box (they had probably quizzed the delivery officer?). Now 'in' the letter box is open to interpretation as I know some items are left on top, or half sticking out or in the paper section or top open section or sitting on top of a fence/ledge (in my case). Item could well have been exposed and gone walkabout...

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member