Too funny to not share

I sold a $58 pen new in the box. As I like to pack well, and double box when possible, and hubby had just got a new smart watch recently so I used the box to put the boxed pen inside. When delivered I got an cross message saying the wrong item was sent and they needed the right item for Xmas.  Wonder how many would have just kept a $300+ watch if they thought they had it. They even put a refund claim in with ebay.  Anyway politely told them the pen was inside if they opened it. They did and all was then good of course and refund cancelled. Never had  a buyer not open a box before. One of those moments to smile about. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Too funny to not share

I get boxes from work to post items in. One time I got a very abrupt message from a buyer saying he hadn't ordered chemical indicators, where was his item? I asked him if he opened the box. He said no. I told him to open it. He was then very red faced, over the moon with the item and left one of the best feedbacks I have ever got.

Why don't they just open the box, and if it's not what they ordered, then make a claim? Thankfully my buyer didn't open a dispute, he just sent a very abrupt message. 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

I get items in all sort of boxes, and not once have I thought it was not what I had bought only because the box was originally for another item - Calvin Klein Men boxes, boxes for Galaxy iPhones,  corn flakes boxes, coffee sachets boxes....

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

I sell glass decorations I have made and often use chocolate boxes as part of the packaging - but I always stick a label on the box with  " Warning no chocolate inside - this is your glass order" .

(I get empty, usually Lindt, boxes from a friend who brings them to me at a social event and others bring me bubble wrap. Several times I've been asked "why do people bring you rubbish to take home?"  one man's rubbish is indeed another's treasure. )

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

I once had this happen too. Packed the item in another outer box and buyer message me irate that the wrong item was sent. Advised the correct item was inside the box. I can understand people panicking, but to not open the package is a bit weird. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

I sold 4 small toys, each individually bubble wrapped then placed in a tea box together with extra paper filling. Then the box was posted in a standard eBay-Auspost small parcel.

Then buyer asked why she received a tea box instead of toys. I said the toys are in the tea box. Then she said "But your way of packaging is confusing!"

So from that day onward, if I use a non blank box for packaging, I always write on it with black marker: "XXX is inside" with XXX being the item sold.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

The scary thing is that these people drive cars, and vote.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

And reproduce. LOL

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

@paper-jack wrote:

The scary thing is that these people drive cars, and vote.

I can sort of understand where they are coming from. These days, most buyers will be buying from multiple online sites, not just ebay and probably not even mostly ebay.

Everything  that they receive that is boxed is probably contains exactly what is labelled on the box. That is what they are used to.

They aren't used to small time sellers any more, sellers who don't have their own professional packaging, especially if they are selling new stuff.

You'd think they would open the package to check it out though.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Too funny to not share

I sourced a huge amount of cardboard boxes from a warehouse once several years ago and for about 2 years was sending everything in Prestige toilet tissue boxes.  No one ever said anything.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply