Trying to list a book

I have tried at least half a dozen times to list a particular book which ebay keeps over-riding and insisting it is a textbook, and filling in all sorts of unsuitable item specifics, even changing the ISBN I put in. No matter what I do, every time it reverts back to rechecking the box stating 'Prefill this listing with ebay catalogue info' which I DO NOT WANT! How can I overide this?.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Trying to list a book

I'm not sure myself, but I was wondering if it is something ebay has added in a user's settings (much like how they added and  ticked the opt in for click and collect on everyone's behalf when that came in)

Just a thought? 

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Trying to list a book

I've been all through the Site Preferences and can't find anything relevant (for that matter, I also didn't see the Click and Collect option - where is it?).

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Trying to list a book

Account settings

Site preferences

Postage preferences

(for click and collect) 

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Trying to list a book

Davewil is a bookseller on eBay, and often posts helpful replies. I am sure I've seen him mention this exact issue.

It's due - if my memory serves me - to a particular large seller of books having been one the first to list on eBay using the catalogue options. This seller appears to have selected "textbook" for every book, irrespective of what sort of book it was.

Actually, here we go: this is the thread in which Davewil refers to this problem (reply 5 on the thread).

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Trying to list a book

Trying to list a book

From the link: If you'd like to remove the details, simply uncheck the Prefill this listing with eBay catalog info box at the top of the page.

This simply doesn't work. No matter how many times I unchecked it, as soon as I tried to go any further with my lisitng, it defaulted back to the check mark being on. And turning my book into a text book etc and adding its own determination of what it thought the ISBN was (not the same as mine).

However, I finally did find a way around the situation - removed the ISBN completely. This allowed me to finally complete the listing.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Trying to list a book

Typical of ebay to think they know better than the seller as to what the seller is selling Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Trying to list a book

A handy trick given to me by a fellow book seller. Up the top of the page is a box which states "  Prefil using the ebay catalogue" - similar type of wording.

Just untick the box.

Then go down and change the catagory, which may still say textbook. Change it to whatever you need it to be.

Then just continue with the listing.

The ISBN should stay there.

The only thing is, you won't get the blub about the book and I always have to fill that in myself.

A pain in the neck, but at least it's in the right catagory.

It only takes under five minutes to get the whole thing sorted and listed.

This has saved me quite a bit of grief.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Trying to list a book

I remember reading this thread but not taking a lot of notice at the time, as I very rarely list books. But having re-read it, you'd think that ebay could have resolved the situation by now.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply