Unfair defect for item not received.

How about this for a 'joke' ??!!

Mid June, I sent an item to a buyer in Victoria (Reg Post).

When Australia Post found no-one to sign for it, they carded it and took it back to the local PO for buyer collection.

Eighteen days elapsed with buyer bothering to collect it and after that it began its journey back to me.

Mislaid along the way, so never arrived back at this end.

First I knew about this, buyer messaged me and asked whether I had received the item back. Of course I hadn't. She had looked at tracking info and found that it said: 'Contact sender'.

I approach auspost who confirm that it is mislaid and accept liability by saying they will instigate a search for it, with an official Item search number and I'm assured that if it is not found in the specified period of time, I will receive compensation to the value of $100.

I relay all this info to the buyer, who commends me on my responsiveness and says I couldn't be doing more.

Next thing I know she has opened a PayPal dispute for item not received and her payment is put on a 'temporary hold' while dispute process is proceeding. I am 'lectured' by PayPal to communicate with the buyer to resolve.

I have been doing NOTHING BUT COMMUNICATING  via the ebay messaging system with the buyer since they first made me aware of the problem.

I ask buyer why she had taken this action, when I had informed her that I have documentary proof that the situation is not of my making, but due to her failing to collect her parcel & then it being mislaid by Australia Post on its return journey to me.

She says that she did it for 'admistration' purposes, whatever that means. She meant as an insurance for herself just in case I was lying, but the stupid thing is I can prove my honesty, due to the item search reference number auspost provided me with. They do not even instigate a search unless they have established that the item in question does not have a 'scanned in number' which all items received by auspost get when they arrive. I could not possibly have the item and be withholding it from her.

Predictably, I now have a defect on my Seller performance for 'cases opened for item not received'

I have protested to ebay (to whom I also sent all the documentary evidence) that I am demonstrably NOT TO BLAME for the item not received and should have the defect removed !!

Surely this case points to how flawed both PayPal's and ebay's dispute system is if anyone can open a dispute of this sort without a closer examination of the facts that then impacts a seller's performance rating so unfairly.

I

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you win the paypal case, which you should given the tracking demonstrates buyer did not collect, the defect should magically disappear.  Lol I would not hold my breath.

Why on earth eBay does a defect even appear before a paypal outcome is determined, that makes all sellers guilty before proven innocent - typical eBay carp.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Well, not exactly sure what the 5 star system is all about - seems if a buyer is happy enough to leave 'positive' feedback they were not unhappy about the transaction - or - any of the other choices for that matter - the sale is concluded with an outcome stated in the feedback.

I have a DEFECT.

HELLO.

Sold two items on 16/7 - AEST time to a buyer in Chile on 15/7 - Chile time.

An 'item not received' was opened on 15/7.

Same time of the sale - not sure what I was supposed to do but told my other half I wouldn't be in for dinner - had to run a couple of items to Chile.

Phoned eBay - oh for Customer Support - to have the defect removed.

Was emailed back 'they have no way of defect removal at this stage.

Absolute rubbish - will call again for a supervisor - I am decidedly not wearing this.

Think the fees paid would get a tad of service from these tools.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Crazy!!!??? What was the buyer of your item thinking, that the item would magically land in her / his lap the moment they paid for it ??

I am determined NOT to 'wear' my situation either. Haven't actually rung ebay yet but if I hear nothing in response to my email to them by the end of Monday, I will be on that phone telling them exactly what I think of their defective 'defect' system and making a few demands.

Don't know how far it will get me, though ! Might just make me feel better to vent to a live ebay rep !!

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Did the buyer say why she didn't collect the parcel?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

No, she hasn't.

Every time I've mentioned this aspect of the whole situation, she has assiduously avoided commenting on it. She did tell me early on that the postal address she had provided and to which I sent the item, was a friend's address not her own.

Possibly the friend couldn't be bothered going and collecting the parcel for which she had supposedly been given responsibility, who knows ?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

You probably have already - but - check the address on the invoice through the eBay purchase.

Then check the 'ship to' address on the paypal details.

If an email directing you to ship to 'other' copy & keep.

Given it was Registered Post & admitted to being 'mislaid' by Aust. Post - PayPal cannot lay blame on the seller.

The buyer has the Registered item number & should follow up the where - while - you already have proof of postage with the same as far as PayPal is concerned. 

Think PayPal should wake up to the difference between proof of postage & proof of delivery - they are not the same and they cannot have it both ways.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

The buyer has 45 days to open a dispute with Paypal which is probably what she means by doing it for administration reasons.

As long as you can provide proof of postage which meets Paypals requirements then the dispute will be closed in your favour and the defect will be removed.

If you don't have the supporting documention to provide proof of postage then you will lose the dipsute and the defect will remain.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply