Unreasonable buyer requesting return because of “dirty” item

Hello
I wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I sold a set of heated hair rollers they have been used and I stated this.
The buyer requested a return because they are “ damaged”, they are not damaged they work fine, I double boxed for shipping. Her actual complaint is that they were dusty, and went on in a rant that they should have been cleaned before selling them.
If I pay her request then I’m out another $20 postage for the return this item. Honestly I’m a good seller with a good track record if I noticed them to be “filthy” I would have wiped them down.
She provided photos of a bit of dust on the outside of the device.
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If you want to dispute the claim, you'll have to get in touch with eBay (via chat) and explain your reasoning. Just be calm and factual, and point out anything in the listing photos and / or the buyer's message & pics that indicates they're inline with the condition description for the item.

"Dusty" does not = "significantly not as described" in my book, as it doesn't affect usability, nor is it a fault or damage of any kind, but eBay's book was written on another plane of reality, so there's no guarantee they'll agree with you. I think you stand a good shot, but if they won't close the case due to an abuse of the return system, as much as i hate to say it, the best option is to accept the return, because if they escalate it to eBay for automatic review, that will be the outcome anyway but you'll get a defect (case closed without seller resolution - most sellers can get two of these before their account is in danger of being restricted or closed). 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Seems like the buyer has possibly changed their mind and is now finding an excuse to get their money back.

A bit of dust means nothing and seems a little unreasonable.

Maybe it would be better to get the item back and even if you are out the return postage, at least you can sell it again.

Alternatively there may also be a resolution option to refund a part of the price and the buyer gets to keep the item - you could ask her if that would work for her and then at least you don't have to go through any more hassle.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply