What did I do wrong?

Good morning all, I hope all is well in your worlds 🙂

I need to learn from this....

Buyer received an item which had been damaged in transit. Buyer is trustworthy, his story honest and was well supported by pics of packing and the item. By the way we seriously ‘overpack’ all items. I believe I had only one option - refund in full.

During the eBay refund process I was presented with a dropdown for reasons why the refund/cancellation was necessary. The most appropriate was ‘Seller could not supply or item was damaged.’ I didn’t like the ‘Seller could not supply part of it, nonetheless the latter reason was accurate and honest. I selected it and completed the process. Seller refunded almost immediately and kept the item. Buyer happy - k - all is well in the world.

I’ve now received a ‘Defect Notice’ from eBay for doing what I believed was the right thing, irrespective of the fact that what happened was totally outside the exercise of my will and control.

What have I done wrong here please folks?

Thanks 🙂

Melina.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What did I do wrong?

Melina, oh no!

That reason "Seller could not supply or item was damaged" is the reason selected for refunds when the item couldn't be sent due to its being damaged post-sale but pre-postage, or when the seller is out of stock.

It's the only refund reason which earns an automatic defect. It's therefore dreaded by sellers far and wide. It's a sort of dead man refund, to be avoided if at all possible.

Can you quickly contact eBay, explaining that you refunded NOT because the item was damaged before you sent it, but because the buyer reported that it was damaged or not as described after he received it? Use all the mellifluous pleading of which you're capable when talking to eBay using the "Have us call you" option. I will metaphorically cross my fingers for you that the defect can be removed.

Important link: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

Spoiler
Your options for responding to a return request

Your options for responding to a buyer's request depend on the reason they're returning the item, and the return policy you stated in your listing.

The item doesn't match the listing, or it arrived damaged or faulty

If a buyer receives an item that's different to the listing, or if it arrives damaged or faulty, they can return it to you even if your return policy states you don't accept returns.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original postage cost. You'll also be responsible for covering return postage costs.

How to accept a return

Give a full refund – You'll issue a full refund to the buyer, including original postage costs, and they'll keep the item. This is a good option for low-value items.

How to issue a full refund

To issue a full refund:

1. Go to your Returns dashboard - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Select View return details beside the item.
  3. Select Give a full refund and then Continue.
  4. On the next page you'll see the refund amount. Simply select Refund the buyer.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What did I do wrong?

Melina, oh no!

That reason "Seller could not supply or item was damaged" is the reason selected for refunds when the item couldn't be sent due to its being damaged post-sale but pre-postage, or when the seller is out of stock.

It's the only refund reason which earns an automatic defect. It's therefore dreaded by sellers far and wide. It's a sort of dead man refund, to be avoided if at all possible.

Can you quickly contact eBay, explaining that you refunded NOT because the item was damaged before you sent it, but because the buyer reported that it was damaged or not as described after he received it? Use all the mellifluous pleading of which you're capable when talking to eBay using the "Have us call you" option. I will metaphorically cross my fingers for you that the defect can be removed.

Important link: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

Spoiler
Your options for responding to a return request

Your options for responding to a buyer's request depend on the reason they're returning the item, and the return policy you stated in your listing.

The item doesn't match the listing, or it arrived damaged or faulty

If a buyer receives an item that's different to the listing, or if it arrives damaged or faulty, they can return it to you even if your return policy states you don't accept returns.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original postage cost. You'll also be responsible for covering return postage costs.

How to accept a return

Give a full refund – You'll issue a full refund to the buyer, including original postage costs, and they'll keep the item. This is a good option for low-value items.

How to issue a full refund

To issue a full refund:

1. Go to your Returns dashboard - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Select View return details beside the item.
  3. Select Give a full refund and then Continue.
  4. On the next page you'll see the refund amount. Simply select Refund the buyer.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

What did I do wrong?

You know Countess, I almost came here first to ask, but thought no, this is pretty straightforward and people will think I’m a dullard for asking the obvious. So many traps with eBay. I’m a dullard for NOT asking.

As always, thanks so very much. You and a few others really are a welcome lifeline here.

Big thanks 🙂

Melina

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

What did I do wrong?

PS....And thanks for the info. The one thing I must learn to do is check for myself first. Sorry for being lazy.

Melina.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

What did I do wrong?

@clubesquire wrote:

PS....And thanks for the info. The one thing I must learn to do is check for myself first. Sorry for being lazy.

Melina.

I hope you manage to get the defect overturned Melina.

The eBay refunds process is something of a nightmare and the ONLY way you can avoid defects is to select "buyer requested a refund".

Damage in transit is something that ebay chooses to ignore, though if you ask them, they'll probably just say you should have packed it in concrete lol.

That's pretty much the advice from AP too.

I've just had to put through a  refund because a postie mangled an item by jamming into a letterbox.

It happens, but fortunately not that often.

If the item is low value it's often simpler and easier just to refund via PayPal and have done with it.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

What did I do wrong?

Yes Dazzle, it’s a mine field, but my fault. I should have checked more thoroughly.

Just waiting on ebay now.

Mel.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

What did I do wrong?

Be careful with refunding straight through Paypal. Recently I've refunded with Paypal because the payment was meant to be cash. The transaction went ahead through eBay, buyer paid with cash on pick up, item was marked as sent. I later received a defect, reason "out of stock". The system has been set up to trigger a Paypal refund made directly in Paypal rather than through an eBay cancellation as automatically a defect. Has happened to me twice. I contacted eBay and they removed the defect. There was evidence in my messages that the buyer paid and picked up, so the defect was a mistake.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

What did I do wrong?

I had to wait for a reply to a message I sent to someone first, but now I can tell you that once again, thanks to the kind and unselfish support here, I’ve managed to get myself out of the doo doo.

eBay will remove the defect within 24 hours. Yay!!

And, credit where it’s due. EBay were attentive, polite and pleasant, understanding and very helpful. A deserving 10/10 for customer service with this.

It’s amazing though isn’t it, just what information they have at their fingertips, right in front of them. 

Anyway, all good. My sincere thanks for your help. I might have a wine (bottle) early today .... lol.

Melina.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply