What does this mean?

Hi asll,

I just received an automated eBay message that says;

Thanks for consistently delivering exceptional service to your buyers. We're here to provide you a marketplace where you can sell with confidence. That's why we've taken the following steps during the past month to protect your account:

• Prevented 1 eBay Money Back Guarantee request(s) from being opened too early in the past 2 months

What does this mean, and is there a way to find out what transaction is the one they are referrring to? I take multiple images of all my items, and if there is damage take lots of images and vast descriptions etc.. i pack extremely well and send with full insurance, so I feel I sure that if something has gone wrong I am covered, but I cant help thinking I may have been attempted to be scammed? I have yet to receive any messages through the system from a buyer?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

What does this mean?

This selling is too stressful through eBay! Every time I get a sale I wonder what may go wrong, that is even taking in to account all the safeguards i try to take, even taking images at the Post Office of my items with their postage labels on etc..

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

It probably means that a trigger happy customer tried to open a refund request for Item Not Received before the outer limit of the delivery deadline and the system wouldn't let them do it.  Ebay counts this as "protecting your reputation", just as the automatic five stars for postage cost for Free Postage listings counts as "protecting you reputation".  The item in question probably turned up the next day and the buyer was happy. It's all just Ebay spin.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

Thanks Penny! I really hope you are right! I just worry every time I sell an item, especially from a newbie buyer even with my blocks in place. I guess I will just wait to see what comes in my message folder in the next week or so.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

Exactly what Penny said.   This is one I received recently -

• Removed 1 transaction defect(s) from your seller dashboard
  • Automatically set 5 of your detailed seller rating(s) to 5 stars from qualifying transactions
  • Prevented 2 eBay Money Back Guarantee request(s) from being opened too early in the past 2 months

First point - transaction defect removed seemed to have been one that had been counted twice. It shouldnt have been there in the first place.

Second point - when postage is free on an item, the buyer cannot rate you on postage, instead Ebay automatically gives 5 stars.

Third point - Id like to challenge this one. It means 1/2 buyers either wanted to return, or a refund or didnt receive item, or something that made them try to open a Money Back Guarantee too early - but Id assume if they were told they were trying to open it too early, theyd wait a day or two and try again - I havent had any complaints during the time period of this email.. all great positive reports, no negs, no refunds, nothing.

Its just Ebay putting a spin on what is already in their policy and should well be - like they are doing us a favour, when its actually expected day to day business and them following their own policies.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

It's just a load of BS. Here is mine which is rubbish

• Automatically set 131 of your detailed seller rating(s) to 5 stars from qualifying transactions
  • Prevented 2 eBay Money Back Guarantee request(s) from being opened too early in the past 2 months
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

x3n0m
Community Member

I have been getting the same notifications on a few accounts .. never heard a peep from a buyer, always post within 24 hours, have no control over the auspost postal system .. and have no idea what upset my customers and furthermore wonder what ebay has done to get so many buyers suddenly trying to enact this money back guarantee garbage against me whilst their items are still in transit!! .. seriously this place is a mess and an incredibly hostile enviroment for sellers to trade in .. I imagine that ebay's preferred seller/insider stock market listed mates get a somewhat better deal .. I am guessing the only way to manage this latest abberation if I actually sell anything here again would be to make sure to refund the buyer before I send the item via the local door to door Jump Jet service ..

THe ebay mods must think I am a nightmare as never have anything good to say about this place ..

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

eBay is not "protecting" sellers from defects generated by buyers. It is such a sadly signficantly flawed system in place that generates such guff as these questionable stats and trumpteting of actions to "protect" us.

eBay is pretending to protect us from eBay ...

How very strange and sad.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

Here's mine -

• Automatically set 186 of your detailed seller rating(s) to 5 stars from qualifying transactions
  • Prevented 16 eBay Money Back Guarantee request(s) from being opened too early in the past 2 months

and the beauty is my defects only went up .5, thanks Ebay.

What a **bleep**en joke.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

What does this mean?

Also Australia Post needs to take some of the blame for these happening. Parcels are taking so long to get anywhere. Lately I have had parcels taking a week to 10 days to get places, even within the same state and city. They are trackable so I know it isn't just buyers being unreasonable. It's ridiculous.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply