What happens to lost items that are refunded and then the item is delivered to buyer

I sent an item to Hungary.

Tracking stopped at Melbourne, where it says that item is on its way.

Buyer has opened an INR.

If the item gets delivered after I refund the money, how do I get my money back?

With thanks

Meg

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What happens to lost items that are refunded and then the item is delivered to buyer

Thank you Digital Ghost,

Sorry not to reply earlier, thought my problem had no further solutuon

Both links worked well - had to log inti Magyar Post.

As I suspected - mail delays.

Parcel arrived 20/ 4/2020 - sent 23/3/2020

In meantime had refunded buyer - hope honesty prevails

Fingers crossed

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Unfortunately Hungary is one of the countries that has very slow and unreliable local post.

And with the current virus problems I think the buyer has opened the case prematurely.

Personally I would try to keep responding in the case and get extensions on the deadline to refund in the hope the item will arrive in the meantime.

Once a refund is processed, it is purely up to the honesty of the buyer to repay. Not enforceable there after.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for quick reply.
I had noticed that Australia post had recognised problems with Hungary Post on 26/3/20.
Tracking in Melbourne ceased on 23/3
I have responded to the buyer.
And will go into local PO tomorrow to see if I can find out any further.
Unfortunately the buyer is not seeming to want to wait any longer.
Any hints on how to get an extension?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I recently sent a parcel to China. Tracking stopped at Sydney. Then 2 weeks later I got another tracking event saying it had been scanned in China. A week later it was marked as delivered. Sometimes buyers are impatient, even when they know of world events. Could also be them trying to get a freebie.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

So I guess that I have to refund and risk the loss.

Maybe my faith in fellow mankind won't be dashed. Many thanks

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Try the tracking number on a universal site like trackitonline or even through Hungary's own postal service tracking tool - often tracking will end via AP once it leaves here, but you'll get results on the other country's postal website. 

Magyar Posta: https://www.posta.hu/international

Trackitonline:  https://en.trackitonline.ru/?service=track

If you use the second one, enter the destination country but allow it to auto-detect carrier.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you Digital Ghost,

Sorry not to reply earlier, thought my problem had no further solutuon

Both links worked well - had to log inti Magyar Post.

As I suspected - mail delays.

Parcel arrived 20/ 4/2020 - sent 23/3/2020

In meantime had refunded buyer - hope honesty prevails

Fingers crossed

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply