What to do About Final Value Fees on Postage when you provide a postage refund?

Quite often when I get to the Post Office, the person behind the counter doesn't cube the package, which means the postage is a few dollars less than was invoiced and paid. In the past, I've just provided a refund of the postage difference to the Buyer.

I had the same think happen this week, and called eBay Customer Service. They basically told me I'd have to wear the Final Value Fee on the postage variation. This was only about 30 cents in this particular case, but over the course of a year it would soon add up, particularly for bulky items sent over long distances.

Just wondering if anyone had come up with a way around this problem?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

refund less the FVF quotient?

careful of the refund though  - ie how you process it - think they are becoming defects in some circumstances

someione else should advise though - out of my knowledge

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

As crikey said, refund less the FVF on postage.

You won't get a defect (shouldn't get a defect), for a partial refund due to overpaid P&H. When making the refund put a note to buyer in the box provided by paypal when making the refund.  (I haven't had a problem with partial refunds myself and I do 3-5 per week).

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Of course if you have charged for cubed postage you could just insist that the PO process it that way especially as it is not unknown for someone further down the delivery chain to realise that the parcel should have been cubed and charge either you or the recipient the extra. 

Some POs think that because a parcel isn't cube shaped they don't have to cube it but AP see it differently.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

AP can't add and invoice additional post charges after an item is lodged over counter at one if their outlets, basic consumer protection comes into play.
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Just put the few dollars in a jar every time that happens and donate it to "Buy A Bale " for the poor farmers if it worries you that much.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Ignore that last reply. I have been on an aus post contract for so long that I forgot that the price of your postage most probably will be shown on the box which could result in neg feed back if you do what I suggested
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Same thing happened again today. The item was quite bulky, so the postage difference was $14.40. I refunded that amount less the FVF on postage as suggested. It still seems a bit unfair that eBay are getting $1.43 of the Buyer's money 😞

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

The pity is that YOU didn't accurately ascertain postage costs.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I used the Post Office postage calculator Dave, and calculated the correct postage. However, the Post Office didn't cube the package, so charged me less than anticipated. But hey, thanks a bunch for your input 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply