What to do if a buyer tells you a sad story, then asks to get an item cheaper

Well, I am at a bit of a loss and hope someone can help. I have a buyer that messaged me several times about a shirt she has bid on. Then tells me she saw that I sold information on autism, I won't go into the whole story. But I did promise to give her free postage for 2 items she has bid on. But now she is worried she won't win. What can I say to her? My experience on eBay is rather limited to selling my own information over the years but now I want to build up my business by selling more of everything. Does this happen to most sellers? I don't want be hard as nails, yet I don't want to be a soft touch either.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, hope i don't sound like a hard ass here - but the disability card is a low one to play.

Yes, i know the autism spectrum well, so i sympathize with the ladies situation, but this is no excuse to play on your good nature.

Unless the items are of an essential nature, I personally would play hard ball, and stick to my guns.

Tell her, if she is the highest bidder, she will win.

If offering free post is something you don't normally do, you have already made conscessions for her.

If you wanted to negotiate price - list as make an offer

Otherwise put her situation out of your mind and treat her as any cistomer without a hard luck story.

every person has a cross to bear, but creating the expectation this means the whole world owes you a discount is not on.

IF they are essential items and you can afford the loss - I would be inclined to be softer and try and help them get what they NEED

If not, its user pays.

Do you think KMart would offer a discount if she played the disabuility card on a non essential item?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Ok, hope i don't sound like a hard ass here - but the disability card is a low one to play.

Yes, i know the autism spectrum well, so i sympathize with the ladies situation, but this is no excuse to play on your good nature.

Unless the items are of an essential nature, I personally would play hard ball, and stick to my guns.

Tell her, if she is the highest bidder, she will win.

If offering free post is something you don't normally do, you have already made conscessions for her.

If you wanted to negotiate price - list as make an offer

Otherwise put her situation out of your mind and treat her as any cistomer without a hard luck story.

every person has a cross to bear, but creating the expectation this means the whole world owes you a discount is not on.

IF they are essential items and you can afford the loss - I would be inclined to be softer and try and help them get what they NEED

If not, its user pays.

Do you think KMart would offer a discount if she played the disabuility card on a non essential item?

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Thank you, you have made me feel better.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

yeah, I figured that was all you needed.

who knows how many sellers they try that on, eh?

if sellers caVE in, it just teachers buyers bad habits IMO.

If a seller wants to negotiate price, they have that option via make an offer.

Sure, if they don't advertise that they are prepared to negotiate, I will sometimes ask, especially when I am buying a couple of higher priced items from the one seller - so I am not saying that asking is bad.

But, if the seller says "that's the best I can do" or comes back with "free post" like you have, for example - then they need to take that as the answer and not keep pushing the issue. If you wanted to offer more, you would have as far as I reckon?

all the best.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

if i was you i would message this bidder before the end of the listing to say you can not give any discounts on cost or postage she has looked at your listings and come up with this story what a cr--p such a low thing to use to get things cheaper some people go lower than low she can cancel her bid if she doesent want to pay the asking price 

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

As someone in the medical profession, I regularly see people trying to play the disability card. If they want something you can't provide, they scream discrimination because they have a disability. I'm sorry, but if someone is fasting for surgery, you denying them food is NOT discriminating against them because they have a disability. I have even heard someone scream discrimination because their GRANDCHILD had a disability. I take those accusation with a grain of salt now. I also won't accept people playing the disability card on eBay either. Both sellers and buyers are faceless names and could be anyone. No-one has any proof whether someone is disabled or not. If you can use a computer, you can pay the same as everyone else. You can also bid the same as anyone else. If you can't afford it, don't buy it, simple as that. Chances are if they looked hard enough, they may find someone with the same item cheaper, but no, they want to pull out all stops and try and cheat the seller because they are too lazy to shop around.

Good luck with it all.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Due to the nature of the products we sell we get this a lot ( we sell kids party products and get a lot of people trying it on).

So to stop it, we have a charitable donations policy whereby if people start asking and playing the disability card we simply tell them that we get a lot of requests for special prices etc for good reasons but so that we are equal to everyone we make one charitable donation each year to a charity of our choice. We dont go into $ figures etc or when we just tell them that we do and that makes it fair for all.  stops it dead as they accept it and move on.

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Also, if the items she is bidding on already have other bids you could just tell her you need to let the listings run their course, wish her luck and that if she wins you will honor the postage offer you made?

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Well now I am truly sick, the bidding finishes at 3pm today about 40 minutes to go and she asked me to stop the auction! Lucky for me I have no idea how to do that and told her. I am now hoping someone else will buy it. In the past 8 years of selling on eBay this has never happened, even the people caring for young children with autism paid without complaining. Most only told me their situation after they had paid. Oh well, I will survive, thanks everyone for the support.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
ive had people try the sob story on me before. Im a bit of a hardass and i wont budge though.

People will try and play whatever card they can to tug at the heartstrings to try and get things cheaper or even for free.

Also remember... if you give them discounts once they will expect it every time.

All i would do in future is play this like you would with any other buyer... no discounts on postage, bid on it like everyone else
Message 10 of 30
Latest reply