Which address do I post a customer's order to?

I always thought that if a customer paid by PayPal, I was supposed to post to the address recommended to me by PayPal - i.e. meaning that the correct address had to be listed with PayPal.

I thought that if I didn't post to the address that PayPal told me to post to that I voided any opportunity to avail myself of Seller Protection.

I am pretty sure though that I read somewhere on the boards here that this isn't correct, that I am supposed to post to the address provided in eBay.

BUt I just found this information when I was lookking for something else......

How do I confirm my postage address?

"The seller may ask you to use a "confirmed" postage address. This means that any items that you pay for with PayPal must be sent to a credit card billing address that you have on file for PayPal. If you've already done this, you just need to make sure that this address is linked to your eBay address book. Then, select this as your postage address when you make your purchase using the Pay Now button."

So doesn't this mean hat if the addresses are different in PayPal and eBay that I am supposed to use the PayPal one?

What happens though when I use Click and Send? Isn't postage information for that uploaded directly from eBay?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Always post to the shipping address that the buyer selects during checkout.

If the buyer uses PayPal this address will be on your PayPal payment received notification.

If the buyer opts to pay by Bank Deposit there's no longer an "I'm sending payment" email so you need to check the View Order details to get the shipping address.

[edit] And if you use C&S, it picks up the address from eBay checkout so you'll never have a problem with using the wrong address.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

thanks for that sports, please allow me to clarify though

so if the eBay address is wrong ie different to that listed with PayPal, and the Paypal notice tells me to send to "the address registered with PayPal" but I used Click and Send so I get the eBay address on my postage label, I still have PayPal Seller Protection?

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

The eBay Order Details address cannot be wrong (unless the buyer doesn't use checkout).

During checkout if the buyer opts to pay by PayPal they are asked to select a shipping address. This address is entered as the address in the order details in eBay and into the transaction in PayPal. This address will show as the Ship to address on the PayPal payment notification.

[edit] As a seller you should ignore the address that shows on the "Your Item Sold" email. This is not the shipping address.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

We often get a message from a buyer stating they have not received their item. We always ask them to verify the shipping address we took from the eBay order details at the time we posted it. We do this before we agree to replace it as a lost item.

It's very common to get an answer saying that's not my address where did you get that from. It's my old address. And these are buyers who have paid using PayPal.

So if they are asked during checkout to select a verified shipping address how do they miss this?

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Because the address doesn't leap off the screen and say "Check me!"

When you use Send Payment in PayPal to pay a supplier's invoice there is no address selected by default. It would be much better if it was the same when paying for an eBay purchase because then the buyer would have to select an address.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I'm kind of with you on this one Clarry, It might be different for me because I know that my ebay and PayPal addresses are the same, but I don't recall ever being asked to select  shipping address, and I always pay by PayPal (well once I had to use PayMate cos I was a numpty and didn't read the description properly and didn't realize the seller didn't offer payPal, but ykwim)

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

That is exactly how buyers have parcels sent to the wrong address!

In checkout the address defaults to their primary shipping address. And many buyers don't change their address.

This is from the checkout screen

snip2510.JPG

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

sports, would you happen to have any harry potter lego not listed?

LOL - I was looking for something to buy and pay for using paypal to see what happened, but I like harry potter lego and my kids aren't interested in any of it LOL

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

No, sorry.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply