Why are Seller Terms & Conditions Ignored not only by the Buyer But eBay & PayPal Also

On every listing eBay makes sure 'The Seller is Responsible for This Listing'

I doubt I have ever purchased a thing without the 'rear small print.

These are the Terms & Conditions of Purchase.

A seller will list their T&Cs but in all cases I have come across these are never considered in any 'dispute'.

In so many instances these 'defects' now handed out like free lollies can be deemed against the seller's T&Cs of purchase.

eBay & PayPal sit in judgement of good sellers - sellers that have satisfied their buyers in most cases.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Why are Seller Terms & Conditions Ignored not only by the Buyer But eBay & PayPal Also

The only terms and conditions that can be applied are ebay and Paypal's. For instance if a seller says payment must be made within 2 days that is nonenforceable as ebay give 4 to 8 days minimum. If a seller says they are not responsible for lost or damaged items then that is nonenforceable if Paypal is used.  Most buyers attention spans are limited and they barely read the description never mind read T&Cs. I have never felt the need to have any terms and conditions other than my basic postage and returns policies which are stipulated in the correct place and comply with ebay and Paypal terms and conditions.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

The only terms and conditions that can be applied are ebay and Paypal's. For instance if a seller says payment must be made within 2 days that is nonenforceable as ebay give 4 to 8 days minimum. If a seller says they are not responsible for lost or damaged items then that is nonenforceable if Paypal is used.  Most buyers attention spans are limited and they barely read the description never mind read T&Cs. I have never felt the need to have any terms and conditions other than my basic postage and returns policies which are stipulated in the correct place and comply with ebay and Paypal terms and conditions.

One of eBay's policies is that a buyer must read and comply with a seller's T&C's, if a buyer does not meet a seller's T&Cs, they are ineligible to purchase the item and can be reported. I personally believe that extends to payment time frames, but also know it is uneforcable in so far as the facilities eBay provide outside of immediate payment.

A seller is not allowed to have the not responsible bit in their listings, but they can practice it.

If I send something fully tracked that is never delivered, neither eBay nor PayPal can make me financially responsible to the buyer.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply