Why does eBay protect the buyer and not the seller?

jpgr62
Community Member

I sold a prefectly operating iphone and it was returned faulty...  Here are the facts:

1. I sold two exact iphones were sold

2. Upon receipt of the iphone in question the buyer noted that it (quote) "worked perfectly and was exactly as described" .

3. A few days later the buyer messaged me to inform me that the iphone has a problem (mic & facetime not working). Sends two messages to me (while at work) but then raises an eBay complaint before I could read and respond to the messages.

4. That evening I messaged the buyer and requested the phone be returned to inspect the damage.

5. Upon receipt of the iphone I tested it and found that the phone was damaged.

6. The following day I took the iphone to an Apple store and had it checked. They then determined that the communication system has been dislodged (possible dropping) and to repair it would cost over $500.

7. I appealed to the buyer that we were both faced with a dilemma and wanted to negotiate a refund.

8. The buyer ignored the appeal and requested eBay to intervene.

As a result, the buyer received their full refund and I am now left with an iphone that does not work and unable to use or sell it. I have copies of all correspondence between the buyer and myself as well as the Apple quote but ebay are not interested. What else can I do to resolve this??

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I understand where you are coming from, but from the buyer's perspective, they received a fairly expensive phone that only worked for a few days. They may well have told you it worked perfectly. They aren't disputing that it worked on arrival. They aren't disputing it was working when you sent it.

All they are saying is it worked fine but broke down after a few days.

When you say you inspected it and found it damaged, what do you mean exactly? I am taking it you mean it wasn't working properly. But do you mean there were visible signs of damage on the outside? scuffs, cracks, that sort of thing? I am not getting that impression.

Therefore, we're probably talking about only operational problems, possibly from a knock, but that is uncertain.

I don't see that ebay had much choice but to refund the buyer. You can also understand that a buyer is unlikely to negotiate a partial refund only for an item that is going to cost $500 to repair. Not if they can get a full refund.

If they did drop it and did the damage themselves, yes, it is a bit shady but you have no way to prove it.

My only advice would be that ebay is a risky platform for selling these types of items. You might do better on other sales sites. I know ebay probably gets more views and the likelihood of a better price but you have to balance that against the fact if you sell elsewhere & someone comes and examines an iphone and picks it up, then they can't really come back at you for a refund down the track or if they do, you're in control as to how you sort it out. On ebay, you're not.

I don't think you'll be able to do a thing to resolve this. The buyer says the phone developed faults. The phone has been returned and is indeed faulty. You have no positive proof as to how it became faulty. In a case like this, ebay would normally protect the buyer.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Nothing.

One of the pitfalls of selling on eBay.

The buyer obviously felt they were supplied a faulty phone.

It's possible that part of the phone had an intermittent problem and maybe due to a drop it is now worse.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply... I'm being to think as much. However the phone was working when it left here and obviously worked when the buyer rec'd it i.e. perfect working order. I am not running a business and if I wanted to let buyers damage my goods, I can do that my self without the hassle of getting others involved. Anyway, you put a smile on my face thanks!

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I understand where you are coming from, but from the buyer's perspective, they received a fairly expensive phone that only worked for a few days. They may well have told you it worked perfectly. They aren't disputing that it worked on arrival. They aren't disputing it was working when you sent it.

All they are saying is it worked fine but broke down after a few days.

When you say you inspected it and found it damaged, what do you mean exactly? I am taking it you mean it wasn't working properly. But do you mean there were visible signs of damage on the outside? scuffs, cracks, that sort of thing? I am not getting that impression.

Therefore, we're probably talking about only operational problems, possibly from a knock, but that is uncertain.

I don't see that ebay had much choice but to refund the buyer. You can also understand that a buyer is unlikely to negotiate a partial refund only for an item that is going to cost $500 to repair. Not if they can get a full refund.

If they did drop it and did the damage themselves, yes, it is a bit shady but you have no way to prove it.

My only advice would be that ebay is a risky platform for selling these types of items. You might do better on other sales sites. I know ebay probably gets more views and the likelihood of a better price but you have to balance that against the fact if you sell elsewhere & someone comes and examines an iphone and picks it up, then they can't really come back at you for a refund down the track or if they do, you're in control as to how you sort it out. On ebay, you're not.

I don't think you'll be able to do a thing to resolve this. The buyer says the phone developed faults. The phone has been returned and is indeed faulty. You have no positive proof as to how it became faulty. In a case like this, ebay would normally protect the buyer.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

What I would do is relist the phone as an auction and advertise it as "for parts or not working". I would start the auction at around $100 and see what happens. It's surprising how many people will buy a not working phone, especially people who have the where with all to repair them.

I would include "for parts" in the heading, and also repeatedly in the description. Include the reason you were told why it isn't working properly. Keep a note of the IMEI number, so someone doesn't try and pull a swifty by saying the phone is worse than what you say, and then send you a differet phone back.

As it's not working, I'd probably remove the product information from the description. Oh, and remove "AU Stock" from the title. Chinese do that when they are trying to misrepresent their location.

Even if you only get $100 for it, it's better than getting nothing.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you... you put things in perspective... I appreciate that.
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Great idea... love it
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

It sounds to me the buyer has in fact dropped the phone (or similar) and knows full well that Ebay will support their refund. Unfortunately this is one of the pitfalls of selling with Ebay. I had a similar situation and bypassed Ebay, taking the matter to Fair Trading. I won and Ebay were instructed to refund me.

I think the lesson here is get the phone verified by an authorised technician before listing for sale. A little like an NRMA inspection on a car before selling it.

Two things will be gained, any buyers looking at scamming will avoid buying from you and you will have solid written proof of the phone's condition prior to it being sold/shipped.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I have had a similar situation, which has left me, the seller, with nothing (and having lost my designer shoes), and has given the buyer 2 refunds plus they refuse to return my original shoes. 

EBay told me to report the buyer. Other than that, eBay couldn’t do anything further which was really disappointing. We have no protection as sellers and if you are new seller here - be careful! There are actually a lot of scammer buyers out there who do things like this! 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

You are on a 4 year old thread....stuff changes.....a moderator will be along soon to advise you to start a new thread with your issue

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply