Why is Ebay still allowing concert ticket reselling ????

Hi All,

This is against ebay rules and ticket companys like Ticketmaster and Ticketek also do not allow this practice.

Clearly people are profiting from this but after reporting over 60 diffeent listings myself and talking in person to a supervisor at the ticket agencies the listings are still on Ebay.

Come on ebay are you trying to profit also?

This is clearly an unfair practice as many people who would attend this concert miss out with these robbers profiting.

People buying these tickets have NO payment protection from paypal as clearly paypal only offer 45 days.

These tickets are not available for months in advance with many people being put in the situation where they could be ripped off.

Ebay you need to cancel these auctions and not allow new listings selling concert tickets to be placed on your site.

I will be watching ebay and if nothing is done will take action with Consumer Affairs and other goverment agencies.

Action must be taken now ebay so people are not being ripped off.

Shane

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Where is it against ebay rules to list concert tickets for sale?

There are some venues that do not allow the resale of tickets, but for the most part it is not illegal and why would you think that the sellers are not going to make a profit?

You can always register with the ticket agencies yourself you know.  You don't have to buy them on ebay.

Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

nouveau_retro
Community Member

of course ebay are trying to profit- this is a commercial website, financed by fees from sales. the server space for this very board - provided by ebay free for all to use- is financed by fees from sales. a free market economy means buyers dictate what they think an item is worth.

as for the tickets being sold months in advance, are there any guarantees the promoter will still be around in 18 or so months? ebay is an advertising platform. There probably wouldn't be any credit card protection for those buying directly from the original sales venue so far in advance either, as card issuers usually have cut-off limits of three-twelve months.

Possible solutions are for the promoters themselves to sell tickets just a few months in advance (which they haven't done), or tickets at the door (which they won't do). The companies need to become proactive in pulling all listings if they don't wish tickets to be resold.

Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

If i was to buy through a proper ticket agency and the concert was cancelled i would receive a 100% refund.

If i purchased from an Ebay seller it would be tough luck with the buyer losing there money and no come back through paypal.

These sellers are just trying to make a quick buck and ripping off the legit people who would normally have purchased the tickets through a legit ticket agency.

Im interested to hear what Ebay have to say about this.

Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

rumplebear1951
Community Member

Here you go...straight from the horse's mouth....

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/event-tickets.html

Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

Every seller either on eBay, at the markets or on the high street are trying to make money. That is what selling is all about.

It is no different than Woolworths selling a product for more than they paid for it.

If there are people willing to buy then there will always be people willing to sell. That is how an economy works.

Concert tickets are a commodity just like t-shirts, iron ore or collectables

Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

nouveau_retro
Community Member

Here you go...straight from the horse's mouth....

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/event-tickets.html

so... in Victoria declared events and in Qld no more than 10% above face value... looks like all other states haven't applied/declared.

Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

So waht about payment protection if the item does not arrive?

Clearly paypal offer a 45 day protection but with many tickets not arriving for over 12 months thats gone.

What about if a user becomes deregistered and contact details can not be obtained the seller then loses there money.

This is and should not be allowed.

Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

It says seller should check to see if tickets are available to be resold.

Ring ticktek and ticetmaster and they will say no.

I rang them and spoke to a supervisor.

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

So waht about payment protection if the item does not arrive?

Clearly paypal offer a 45 day protection but with many tickets not arriving for over 12 months thats gone.

What about if a user becomes deregistered and contact details can not be obtained the seller then loses there money.

This is and should not be allowed.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of ticket scalping, but my personal opinion aside, the buyer has the responsibility to both understand the risks they are undertaking when purchasing tickets on eBay, and what they may be able to do to protect themselves against those risks.

If eBay/PayPal won't protect a buyer's purchase decision, then the buyer either has to not buy, buy but accept that there's a possibility they'll waste their money, or research whether - if they paid by credit card - their card provider will provide protection if the deal goes south.

Message 10 of 54
Latest reply