Winning bidder thinks the bidding on my auction they won was dodgy..... which it was not!

I am not sure how to reply to this buyer.

Buyer contacted me tonight after I sent an UPI for an item sold 5 days ago. They said they are reluctant to pay as  the auction comes off as dodgy to them. Also they said it was uncanny 2nd last bid was $1 less than their highest bid.

There is nothing dodgy at all... I presume she is alluding to shill bidding.. which is not the case - 2 other bidders apart from herself.. neither known to me. 

The amount it reached is about right for the item.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Winning bidder thinks the bidding on my auction they won was dodgy..... which it was not!

You have done the right thing, UPI.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

am, I would let them know that they are welcolme to cancel as long as it on them, not you.  Change of mind.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Excellent advice.Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks, I will do what horizon suggested.. doesn't seem quite right not to reply to them at all... and just leave the UPI open.

Next question: if buyer does want a cancellation.. what happens with the UPI already opened?

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Hmm I've never had a buyer ask that one so could be a bit awkward to answer.

Are they a new ID? some of them from the threads on the boards think everything is shill bidding.Could explain that bids were by unknown buyers & that you cannot control the bidding process,except to cancel a bid if you don't like their history.You could add that you cannot bid on your own items.Just to make them feel a bit more secure perhaps you could say that as the seller,you can see the whole ID & there was no problem with the 2 other random bidders.May be an eBay bidding guide link to send them.Or send 'em here for some learnin' Smiley Surprised

I got outbid by $1 on Sunday 'cos my son unplugged my net connection & i didn't know about it.Nothing sus about being outbid $1 as the other bidder may have had a bigger max bid anyway.

If it's not a newish ID they may be just trying to get out of paying.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

A bit odd. They aren't a newbie.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

You won't be able to cancel a transaction if:

• You've sent the item.

• The buyer has already opened a request because they didn't receive the item.

• You have already opened an unpaid item case.

Is that correct?

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Probably found something else & making excuses when you did the UPI ,meh a strike may make them bid more carefully.I hope they don't get nasty about it but i wouldn't be persuaded to do a cancel either.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Yes and I would leave the UI case closing 4 days after it's opened.

That way they can't leave feedback either in case they have their back up because you opened the case.

image host
Message 10 of 20
Latest reply