bank charge back after almost 7 months?

Sale was made on the 4th of Sep 2014, then this morning I got a notice from paypal, says buyer started a bank charge back, claim it's an unauthorised transaction.

Paypal asks me to upload tracking #, I can try to find it but I really don't wish to dig into my old paperworks; on the other hand, it's been 7 months, is the # still traceable on Auspost website?

I have contacted the buyer (or scammer) but no reply so far.

What would happen if I can't provide tracking detail?

If anyone has experienced this, please give me some advise.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lodge a report with The ACORN. Link below.

That way you will get a report number instantly. If they are suspicious they will onforward to police.

Advise PayPal of the ACORN report #.

In my experience tho if you don't come up with a tracking number you will lose the case.

ACORN

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Good grief. 7 months after a transaction and the buyer is now saying it is unauthorised??

What a cheek. That really puts me off selling on ebay, that does.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Not happy about this, may have to go to police and report this person.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I would inform the buyer that you are going to the police if they do not either cancel the chargeback if they initiated it or reimburse you for the cost of the item plus any charges you get through Paypal if they did in fact use a card they were not authorised to use.

Some banks allow chargebacks up to a year or more while some only give 3 months which is why you should keep all proofs of postage, tracking numbers etc for at least a year.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

unfortunately under bank rules, if the buyer used a c/card via Paypal they do have MONTHS (some banks up to 1 yr) to do chargebacks!!!  not a lot paypal will do for you, but if you have the aust post receipt with the buyers paypal address showing it will assist your claim.  without it you are stuffed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

If you have proof of postage you'll be covered by Paypal Seller Protection.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Advise the buyer that your first action is to make a police report. Ask them to supply all the documents they have to back up their claim.

Advise Paypal you have also made a Police report and are awaiting their response.

Make the buyer aware any refund will be not be easily given by you.

7 months is unnaceptable and raises the obvious concerns this person is a scammer trying to bluff their money back.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Lodge a report with The ACORN. Link below.

That way you will get a report number instantly. If they are suspicious they will onforward to police.

Advise PayPal of the ACORN report #.

In my experience tho if you don't come up with a tracking number you will lose the case.

ACORN

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

is this not a paypal dispute   whats it got to do with ebay   banks have an agreement for i think 1 year   most banks have the same agreement [ and we all know banks are hard to beat    but if they can find there tracking reciet  they should be fine

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Happened to me once - about 9 montths after the sale.  I contacted the buyer for clarification and he told me that his card had been fraudently used and his bank was sending charge back requests on many traqnsactions - even thiose that were legit.  To cut a long story short, paypal had no option but to reverse the payment back to the bank, but my buyer immediately authorised a new payment so all was good.  Make sure you communicate with the buyer before you do anything as in many chargebacks, its the banks and not the buyer who do it. 

Also - if you get paypal to contest it, they will hit you with a fee - I think its $15

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply