can sellers demand bank deposit only

gers47
Community Member

as the topic title says.............................can sellers demand bank deposit only ???

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

In a word No.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Item Number 181426360767

states ....................................
I WANT BANK DEPOSIT
eBay item number:

states..................................BANK DEPOSIT
 As do all of <removed> listings Why is this allowed ?????
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Its so easy to make a payment using paypal.  If you want punters to deposit into your bank account they have to type BSB and Account numbers.  This is not difficult but the punter might worry they could enter the wrong number and subsequenty loose their money to someone else.  It can take up to 3 days for the funds to get to you after payment if they are paying through a building society with no link to your bank.

There are other methods of payment.  If you have an ABN you can get a BPAY account but there are fees associated with that.  You could look into the amazing range of other payment methods on offer, but most tend to leave Australia out of the mix.  And there are usually fees.  You could look into bitcoin, but you'd be going to find many people willing to use it.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I use bank deposit to pay a few sellers whom I have dealt with for a long time, but I wouldn't use it for a new or unfamiliar to me, seller.

Not much protection for the buyer.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

any seller can ask for bank deposit, but that doesn't mean they can refuse one of the 3 "safe payment methods". They must accept at least one of either PayPal, Paymate or Merchant Credit Card.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

You are not allowed to Name sellers in threads 

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@gers47 wrote:

as the topic title says.............................can sellers demand bank deposit only ???

sellers can demand anything they like . . . . but they must follow eBay policy if they wish to remain selling on eBay.  This means that their demands can not over-ride eBay policy and procedures.  One of these, and it is a biggy, is that they must offer, and accept, at least one form of safe payment for buyers.

Many sellers will try to get around this by listing with PayPal as the safe payment method, but then message buyers and claim that their PayPal account "isn't working" and request payment by Bank Deposit/Transfer.  I would suggest that in such a case you tell the seller you are happy to wait until they get their PayPal fixed.  If you pay by PayPal and they refund the payment then that shows that their PayPal is working fine.  Some sellers will list with an invalid email address for PayPal payment.  This will result in the payment remaining "unclaimed" . . . . . and this is usually when sellers say their PayPal isn't working.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Item # 272121954451

new listing for surface pro 4. Seller is demanding only bank transfer. These type of ads should be removed and sellers banned. 

For one, the seller is trying to bypass eBay and or PayPal fees, two it's more than likely fraudulent, three as it only offers 1 method of payment that is no under eBay or PayPal buyer protection its against eBay rules. eBay is big enough and ugly enough to have their own sellers app for sellers to use, making numerous payment methods available to select from under required and secondary. PayPal etc providing buyer protection and secondary choices that don't. This would make the seller have to choose at least 1 secured payment method providing buyer protection. In particular more higher end expensive items like this.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Despite what they say in their listing, the only payment method they have selected is PayPal. If you went ahead and bought it, you would only be able to pay by PayPal. I would strongly suggest NOT buying due to the sellers appalling feedback. I wouldn't trust them with that many negs.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply