eBay Store Banner Compression!? Arghhhhhh

Does anyone know how to stop eBay compressing my store banner?!

It's like 36kb and the correct size (1200 x 270). When I preview it, it looks fine, and then when I publish it it's compressing down to 8kb which is just ridiculous? Like you would need to set a png or gif to 2 colours to get it to 8kb in most cases ...

If they're too tight to let me have the extra 28kb, they should at least provide the option for me to upload it from my own url ...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

As you don't have a store under this ID, it's a bit hard to provide any advice or feedback.

Maybe post with the ID that has the issue.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

They allow images up to 12mb, so 36kb  shouldn't be an issue - mine is 264kb and looks fine, no compression at all.

What program are you using to create / save the banner, and in what format? 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

No thank you, because I don't feel like having every single thing about my store roasted by the "no one asked" brigade

Thank you for your response all the same.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks Digi - I spoke to eBay support and apparently they compress to make the page load faster for buyers ... mmhmm ...

I asked them why other store owners don't have this problem and they had no answer, except to say that it "looks fine" on their screen.

It's not unreadable or anything, it just looks far better without the jpg artifacts around the text and image. I also tried png and gif with no luck, so I'll just roll with it.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply