eBay needs to remove paypal option for local pickup

Since paypal requires online tracking as a condition of its seller protection policy I think its only fair that the decision whether nor not to accept payment via paypal for local pickup be at the sellers discretion.

The present system exposes sellers to enormous risk. A buyer can pay for an item via paypal, pick it up, or arrange for a friend to pick it up, then open a dispute claiming they never received the item, and without online tracking such disputes are invariably resolved in the buyers favour.

I'd like to see this addressed pronto.

Ciao.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

soundsugly wrote: 

Since paypal requires online tracking as a condition of its seller protection policy I think its only fair that the decision whether nor not to accept payment via paypal for local pickup be at the sellers discretion. 

The present system exposes sellers to enormous risk. A buyer can pay for an item via paypal, pick it up, or arrange for a friend to pick it up, then open a dispute claiming they never received the item, and without online tracking such disputes are invariably resolved in the buyers favour.

No it doesn't.  PayPal buyer and seller protection policy excludes protection for buyers for items they pickup in person (or have someone pickup on their behalf).

eBay require sellers to offer a 'safe' payment method, BUT, PayPal User Agreement does not give seller or buyer protections for items that are hand delivered by the seller or collected in person by a buyer.  This comes straight from the PayPal User Agreement (see cut and paste sections below and click https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and... to go straight to the PayPal user agreement page that these c&p come from):

PayPal Seller Protection Policy

Limitations

S4.1     The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

f.     The item is hand delivered

PayPal Buyer Protection Policy

Eligibility

S10.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

i.     Your purchase is not for:

vi.      Items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf

(end of cut and paste)

To make it easy for anyone who does go to the agreement, the relevant section numbers and subsections/parts/clauses are the same in this post and the PayPal User Agreement i.e:

Limtitations S4.1: (f),

and

Eligibility S10.1 - (i): (vi)

found on webpage https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and...

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

There is no cash on pick up option when you list, only payment on pick up.

Even if you offer cash on pick up, you must offer buyer a safe payment choice - cash is not a safe payment choice in terms of ebay policy.

The buyer can arrive and pay with paypal, or other options provided in the listing - that is in the contract.  So it is not only in accordance with ebay policy, but the law as well. 

Sellers accounts can be reported for non-performance  and have their selling restricted if they try and avoid accepting a safe method by the method encouraged by the other poster.

The other poster is not doing buyers who wish to pay by safe payment option, or sellers wishing to sell their goods, any favours either way - such a seller looks shonky as - why won't they accept safe payment are the goods stolen ?  are they faulty in some way that will not show itself to a later a date ?

If a seller puts only cash is accepted on pick up items in your listings to circumvent the sales contract condtions, a seller can be reported for an ebay safe payment poiicy breach,

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Many sellers list with freight as the only delivery option, the buyer can pay with Paypal, there is no other option if no other delivery method is offered. If pay on pick up is included in the payment methods that has absolutely no bearing on the delivery method and is in no way discouraging anyone from paying with Paypal.

I am more than happy to charge them the cost of fully trackable pack & send delivery if the y wish to choose the freight option, I am merely offering them a discount of the freight charge if they want to collect. Nowhere do I say anything about only accepting cash nor do I make any mention of not wanting Paypal. In other words there is absolutely no breach of listing policy.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

If you wish to only accept cash on pick up for an item then list it with freight as the only delivery option then list Paypal and cash on pick up as payment methods. That way they either have to pay the freight charge which of course you will quote for with full tracking or they have to arrive with the cash.

encouraging others to circumvent ebay policy

but worse still encouraging very poor trading behavior

only a dodgy seller would go the route your suggest, and only a dodgy poster would suggest it IMO

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

There is no cash on pick up option when you list, only payment on pick up.

True... But you could always forgo selecting Pay on Pick-up as an option and choose "See item description" instead. As Cash on pick-up is listed as an acceptable payment method within eBay's Help / Policy pages, there is nothing stopping a seller from specifying cash on pick up as being the only other payment option.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

as long as a buyer can pay by safe method on pick up if they wish there is no problem, it is when a seller refuses the safe method because it is a pick up item that the problem arises.  There is no underhand way around it,

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@soundsugly wrote:

I'd like to see this addressed pronto.

eBay already offers a solution.

List "local pick-up only" items with no requirement for PayPal, no listing fees and no FVFs on Gumtree.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply