eBay not following own rules

qhj_10
Community Member

Sold a brand new phone, buyer returned it with broken factory seal, we provided the picture to eBay, and refunded 80% to the buyer via PayPal. eBay decided to refund the remaining 20% with the reason "we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control". We checked the IMEI of the phone and it was registered on the date the phone was delivered. The same IMEI was sent to the buyer before delivery via email. We provided the evidence, including the original email, the manfacturer's warranty check link etc, but eBay kept the original outcome wit the same excuse. How could eBay disregard all these evidence and make such an arrogant decsion? The return reason is "found a better price". It is eBay's own rule that a buyer is not eligible for a full refund if the return item is not in its orignal condition. It's like they are a ploice and a judge at the same time.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If the reason was found a better price it goes against ebay's policy anyway - but I don't know what you can do seeing they have already refunded.

The ACCC advises Consumer guarantees do not apply if you:
(a)  got what you asked for but simply changed your mind, found it cheaper somewhere else, decided you did not like the purchase or had no use for it
(b)  misused a product in any way that caused the problem
(c)  knew of or were made aware of the faults before you bought the product
(d)  asked for a service to be done in a certain way against the advice of the business or were unclear about what you wanted

https://pages.ebay.com.au/returns/#tip6

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

I’d ring Ebay and ask why they are not following their own rules as well as those governed by the ACCC pointing out in particular point a) in the above and let them know you will be more than happy to report this to the ACCC or the Ombudsman.

the rubbish excuse that they can’t determine if the buyer caused it is just their way of backing out.  They tell you as a seller you are protected but 95% of cases I would imagine go in favour of buyers, regardless what proof and evidence you provide.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply