eBay's extortionate pricing structure

• $1.50 insertion fee for items under $100
  • 9.9% final value - it was 5.25% only 2 years ago
  • Maximum fee now $250 - up from $100
  • And let's not forget PayPal's %7+ gouge when you sell something

Are you serious? Do you realise eBay that you actually need sellers for your business model to work? Maybe you could help them build their businesses so you make more money? But why bother. There's plenty more where that came from, hey eBay? 

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I have been tracking our income/expenses for tax purposes since July 1st 2013.

Total fees across two ebay stores to date for both eBay and PayPal combined are currently running at 15.6% of total sales.

PayPal charge us 2.4% + 30-cents for each transaction. Not 7%!!!

I'm not too unhappy with that considering it gets you a fully maintained site to advertise you products that absolutely everyone knows about.

Although I do agree that ebay seem to be very buyer focussed.

We are making a meagre living out of it now.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

@jesterbird wrote:
  • $1.50 insertion fee for items under $100 After your free 40
  • 9.9% final value - it was 5.25% only 2 years ago it is less with a store, as are listing fees for BIN
  • Maximum fee now $250 - up from $100 If I sell something for over $1,000 regularly (or ever) I'll start to worry
  • And let's not forget PayPal's %7+ gouge when you sell something 30c + 2.4%. If that works out at 7%, then the previous point is irrelevant. More like sales of around $8 including postage

Are you f**king serious? Do you realise eBay that you actually need sellers for your business model to work? Maybe instead of raping them you could help them build their businesses so you make more money? But why bother. There's plenty more where that came from, hey eBay? Parasites.

I don't believe anybody is likely to be forcing you to sell on eBay. if they are, then your beef is with them. If you don't like the terms, don't list. Otherwise work within the constraints to maximise your profits.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply