ebay CSR hung up on me when asked about FVF on international postage

Seems like email to ebay option has disappeared. So I decided to open a chat session with ebay on the topic of FVF on international postage. The poor CSR tried to hedge around the issue before hanging up on me.

I would encourage everyone reading this post to to go to http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cuhome click on selling selling fees and then ask the CSR this question. Perhaps that may get the message across.
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

tstore
Community Member
The chat rep has already answered your question.
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
She obviously realised that you were simply being obtuse. I'd have hung up on you too.
Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

The chat rep has already answered your question

I can perfectly understand your sentiments and skepticism giving that you sell $10 items in a letter sized envelopes, and in local market only. So you obviously had no idea what I was talking about here, or what other sellers targeting international markets are creating hoolla boola about..

Though I have to admit that I like your business model. It is is ideally suited for the conditions being created by ebay and Australia Post, and I guess sooner or later most of will be adapting this model in one form or another.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

What did you want the CSR person to say? They don't make the rules.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

I am just trying to get the message across to ebay management. Never expected anything better (or worse) from the rep.
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Ok

I get what you are asking.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger/interpreter

What I say below does not mean I agree that it is right or fair, ok?

But those who use calculated shipping domestically are also in the same boat.

What eBay are saying is that you work out the maximum potential postage cost.

Then take 9.9% of that and include it in your item cost.

So for an item that could incur an $80 postage cost, this $8 will be added to the cost of the item.

After this, the cost of the item will never chance, regardless of who buys your item, whether it be someone next door to you, or whoever it is that incurrs the $80 postage.

The Fee on the postage component will be charged to your account immediately the item is sold.

Now for postage, depending on how much the person pays (and with calculated postage or different method of postage chosen from your postage options and will automatuically be shown to the buyer) so if domestic might be an $8 post charge and iceland may be $80.

If the domestic person buys, the $8 post charge will show

If the person from Iceland buys, then the $80 postage will show

(if you have set up your postage options correctly, I guess)

From here there are two ways this could go.

1) If the buiyer pays straight away, they will pay the amount showing.

Upon payment the fee for the remainder of the contract (the delivery cost) will be charged to your account - so 80c for domerstic and $8 for Iceland.

If it is sold domestically, you now have an incr4eased profit of $7.20 as the buyer has already inadvertently paid this in the cost price of the item. (because you allowed for $8, but only incurred 80c)

What you do with that $7.20 is up to you.

Keep it in a jar to offset the ocasions where you may undercharge postage?

Pocket extra profit?

Refund to the buyer?

Donate it to the ATO in lieu of GST? (that is a joke)

Your choice.

2) If multiple items are purchased and you combine postage

you will be able to send an invoice with your combines postage price.

eBay will then charge you the fee on the amount the customer pays.

The buyer sees that you have discounted postage, the product cost never changes, you will make profit you hadn't counted on, even though the buyer still sees you have provided them with a savings and discounted their postagebcosts.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@asporty wrote:
I am just trying to get the message across to ebay management. Never expected anything better (or worse) from the rep.

eBay management already have the message - they have it loud and clear.

They heard it all in the UK who deal with the same issues and they have been reading the eBay boards and have read it here, heard it here through countless other emails and ophonecalls and they have read it on other sites as well.

eBay know - and the above is how you are to deal with it.

(again, niot saying I like it or think it is fair etc - but that ios how it is)>

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I love the cookie jar option 🙂
Only problem is, in this extremely competitive market adding $8 is like shooting myself in the foot. So I what I am doing now is to add $4, say bye bye to my board and tape costs, and keep my fingers crossed that no one iceland jumps in.
The point again is, we need to voice our concerns and hope something good comes out of it. Otherwise, I am sure we will all adapt and will continue to sell on ebay.
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@asporty wrote:
I love the cookie jar option 🙂
Only problem is, in this extremely competitive market adding $8 is like shooting myself in the foot. So I what I am doing now is to add $4, say bye bye to my board and tape costs, and keep my fingers crossed that no one iceland jumps in.
The point again is, we need to voice our concerns and hope something good comes out of it. Otherwise, I am sure we will all adapt and will continue to sell on ebay.

I understand everything you are saying, I do.

and I really feel for those in these positions.

It's the framework they choose to provide, so we just have to work out a way to work it into our business model and get it to work the best way we can.

This MIGHT mean we have to stop selling some things overseas, or find a product where we can use flat rate packaging.

I know it is unfair on those who may have to find a complete new range and change how they do business - but that is how it is

my advice - find products conducive to fklat rate packaging whether they be international or domestic.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that no one from Iceland buys,

BTW, down the bottom of every page is a link that says "tell us what you think"

for what iots wiorth, if you want to write daily (and hope they reasd it) that may be an option if their email link is down.

Just write out a standard lettewr and message it to em several times a day LOL

let their inboxes die of exhaustion!

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply