ebay invoice for selling fees

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to selling but over Christmas I listed quite a few items for sale and sold 25.  I have now been invoiced by ebay for $124.02 for sales between 16.01.15 and 15.02.15.  My listings were very basic with no extras and most were listed at a starting auction of around $5 with little or no profit on that.

When I looked at what I sold in the last 60 days it is worth $296.60. That means I only made $172 profit and ebay about 40% of my earnings in fees.

Is this right?  I did see the fees when i listed but as I was in a bit of a rush didn't think to work out the end cost for me thinking it was only cheap to list and sell an item.  All constructive advice welcome.  I'm already kicking myself over lack of research in this area.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you listed more than 40 items in a calender month, you would have paid a listing fee of $1.50 per item for listings beyond the first 40.

You pay 9.9% of the sale price PLUS 9.9% of the postage cost in fees.

Generally you should end up paying around 15% in fees on sold items (excluding any listing fees). This does not include the Paypal fees.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

If you listed more than 40 items in a calender month, you would have paid a listing fee of $1.50 per item for listings beyond the first 40.

You pay 9.9% of the sale price PLUS 9.9% of the postage cost in fees.

Generally you should end up paying around 15% in fees on sold items (excluding any listing fees). This does not include the Paypal fees.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

sold nearly same dollar amount but only 3 or 4 items, my ebay invoice was just over $31.00. you must of paid for alot of listings.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Yes I can see you listed about 100 items so there were 60 that you have paid $1.50 per listing for.

You might be able to recover some future costs by relisting the unsold items - you should be able  list up to three times for free.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@indigorosey wrote:

Yes I can see you listed about 100 items so there were 60 that you have paid $1.50 per listing for.

You might be able to recover some future costs by relisting the unsold items - you should be able  list up to three times for free.

Further to what Idigo said, if you keep on eye on this forum, someone always posts a link for free listing promotions when they become available. Usually it's 150 freebies.....that's on top of the regular 40 per month. There's a chance there might be a promotion next weekend, so keep an eye out here during the week. 

Also, keep an eye on how many you list per month by checked right down the bottom of your selling page. It's easy to get carried away and list more than the 40. If you list 140 items for the month, and none sell, you've paid eBay $150 for absolutely nothing.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply