how does ebey justify a fee of $54 on an item valued at $500 thieves

how does ebay justify charging me a cost of $54 to sell an item worth $500 ,when i listed this item i was told there was no fee i will never ever list anything with this bunch of theiving dogs again

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It's free for the listings, up to 40 per month, which some people pay for.

But then if it sells there is a sale fee.

I guess you didn't read the T&C's nor the rules of eBay.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Well at least "theiving dogs" is a change from feebay and greedbay.

You can list up to 40 items free of charge but you have to pay a Final Value Fee if those items sell.

It is a pity you did not read the details of selling on ebay before complaining about the rules.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

You may not realise this but you do get a large buyer group that for some items will also net you a higher price. Buyers also feel confident in handing over large sums even for cookie jars. Although usually I find they just go straight from the packet to my mouth.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@iamaceman,

I can see that you're primarily a buyer. You've only sold a few items (two, if you received feedback for every sale).

It's still difficult to believe that anyone could think there would be no fees to actually selling items on eBay. How did you suppose that eBay made its money? Was sustainable? When sellers said anything about fees, did you believe that they were exaggerating...?

You would probably be best off thinking of comparable ways to sell - for instance, through an auction house, or newspapers, or weekend market stalls, or shopping centre kiosks, or shops in malls. The cold reality is that eBay could not possibly function if it charged nothing. Sometimes eBay will give offers concerning fees, but they don't do entirely away with the basic fee structure on eBay Australia.

You were almost certainly informed that there'd be no listing fee - but a listing fee is not the same as a final value fee. Did you read through the eBay User Agreement? (You know that this is updated regularly, and eBay users all need to click "I accept" after any change...?)

The fees are explained in the UA, complete with links to the relevant policy pages that show those fees in detail. You may want to bookmark the link.

All sellers registered on eBay Australia will as a general rule be paying fees; it's worth it for many sellers because of the market / exposure. For others, it may not be worth it. There are some other options such as Gumtree, selling on Facebook, garage sales, etc., but bear in mind that a different selling platform/venue, while it may mean no final value fees, could also mean lower selling price.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Surely you should have realized that eBay does not allow sellers to sell for free. They are in business out of the goodness of their heart, paying staff and overheads so we sellers can pay no fees?? Haven't you heard about "there is no such thing as a free lunch?" So now they are robbers because you cannot or did not read the terms and conditions.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply