how to deliver items cheap with tracking

I have purchased many items on eBay and what surprised me is seller items getting sent via tracking, e.g. I bought USB-C cables, 4 for around $10 which includes delivery to my place with tracking information. If you check with AusPost their cheapest published rate with tracking will be between $6-$9, even if it is $6, those cables I know won't cost $4 for the seller and he need to make profit. Could someone please who knows the answer respond.

Looking for cheaper way to deliver with tracking provided.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sellers often get major discounts if they have a MyPost account. Anyone can have one, you don't need to be a business.

The more parcels you send in a given period, the higher the discount, with there being 5 Bands available. I'm on Band 4, and get a $1.77 discount on labels printed at the counter. When I jump into Band 5, I get $1.86 as a parcel discount. International shipping also gets a big discount, with $5.25 the discount on Band 4 (item under 500g)

I use my own packaging so that they print a postage label at the counter, or I use their new satchel packaging - the ones where they have to print a label, NOT the ones that are already pre-priced.

When you open an account, you will get a QR code that you show them at the counter which they scan. I think you can also print your own labels, but I prefer to get it done at the counter as they have to weigh it. The good thing is that the printed label shows the full price of postage to the customer, not the discounted rate that you pay

Here is the link to the Aus Post PDF which shows the discounts  of anywhere from 3% to 30%, depending on zone and quantity of parcels.

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/mypost-business-postage-rates-guide....

Oh, and I think they might still be running the special deal where you get onto Band 3 for a 3 month period once you sign up.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sellers often get major discounts if they have a MyPost account. Anyone can have one, you don't need to be a business.

The more parcels you send in a given period, the higher the discount, with there being 5 Bands available. I'm on Band 4, and get a $1.77 discount on labels printed at the counter. When I jump into Band 5, I get $1.86 as a parcel discount. International shipping also gets a big discount, with $5.25 the discount on Band 4 (item under 500g)

I use my own packaging so that they print a postage label at the counter, or I use their new satchel packaging - the ones where they have to print a label, NOT the ones that are already pre-priced.

When you open an account, you will get a QR code that you show them at the counter which they scan. I think you can also print your own labels, but I prefer to get it done at the counter as they have to weigh it. The good thing is that the printed label shows the full price of postage to the customer, not the discounted rate that you pay

Here is the link to the Aus Post PDF which shows the discounts  of anywhere from 3% to 30%, depending on zone and quantity of parcels.

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/mypost-business-postage-rates-guide....

Oh, and I think they might still be running the special deal where you get onto Band 3 for a 3 month period once you sign up.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

When you look at their feedback, are they registered in China ?  If so there's your answer, Chinese importers get very low postage costs and can undercut just about any Australian seller.

The other answer could be that they are selling as "loss leaders" hoping that low prices on some items will encourage buyers to buy more of their items.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

True Padi - if it was from China, there will definitely be an indication on the postage label, or as you say, the OP can check where the seller is registered.

LOL, I went on the assumption the items were sent domestically - OP should clarify.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I was about to ask the OP if the seller was in China, then the computer had a tanty 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Last year I bought a measuring tape for $1 (BIN) and free postage (from a seller in Australia), and there was a stamp on the envelope for I think $1.20? And I also had experiences similar to yours, but it is true that sellers often get postage discounts if they have a MyPost account. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Actually these are all posted via AusPost with AusPost tracking, received in few days so trying to find that magic bullet on saving on the postage. I like your earlier response where you have given bands etc but even if I get $1.86 discount, the price will come down from say $7 to $5, still not sure how the seller make profit as the big part of the cost is postage.

Thanks for your response, really appreciated.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I had a look at your items. You are selling cards, so why not use the green pre-paid domestic tracked letters? They are made of stiff cardboard and come in a DL size, an A5 and an A4. The DL is $3.05, but you could change $3.40 to cover the postage fee. Just add the charge onto your listing. Buyers will not mind paying such a small amount and you get tracking.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply