my item was removed due to a trade violation and ebay are asking to authenticate my item.

saqif86
Community Member

my item was removed due to a trade violation and ebay are asking to authenticate my item. 

I am re-selling a pair of ray-ban sunglasses which i bought from another ebay user.  Ebay is asking whether the item is geniune or fake and to verify that the product is original.

I am enquiring with the original ebay user where i bought it from, however i don't recall at the time when i bought it (2012) that the product was counterfeit or a replica and i assumed that its an original product (looks genuine to me).

How does ebay allow one user to sell an item where they havent specificed whether the product is authentic or not, however when i happened to re-sell that same item that was sold to me, i am in breach?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Probably because ray-ban has done a sweep through eBay and found yours.

I had a pair of what I believe were ray-bans, but I could not have authenticated that as I lost the receipt. And somebody knocked them off anyway.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I know it seems harsh, that you are the one being caught out here. Yes ray ban may have done a sweep but more than likely another user has reported your item as fake. 

I can help you with authenticators for just about every designer BUT ray ban, the only thing I can suggest is that you contact ray ban themselves or maybe a really good ray ban retailer. Or try the US boards as there are some great users who can steer you in the right direction for authentication.

Unfortunately this is one of the major bug bears of selling/buying on ebay, the sale of counterfeit items is rife and occassionally there is a crack down, more of it I say.

Good luck.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@retailtherapist_8 wrote:

I know it seems harsh, that you are the one being caught out here. Yes ray ban may have done a sweep but more than likely another user has reported your item as fake. 

I can help you with authenticators for just about every designer BUT ray ban, the only thing I can suggest is that you contact ray ban themselves or maybe a really good ray ban retailer. Or try the US boards as there are some great users who can steer you in the right direction for authentication.

Unfortunately this is one of the major bug bears of selling/buying on ebay, the sale of counterfeit items is rife and occassionally there is a crack down, more of it I say.

Good luck.Smiley Happy

According to many posters, eBay will not accept a member report as acceptable proof of an item's authenticity. Only Vero members are allowed to report fakes.

Allegedly...

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Only Vero members are allowed to report fakes.

That is not how VERO works. Anyone can report a fake, sometimes ebay will remove sometimes they won't and if they do then it is up to the seller to provide ebay with proof either with a retail receipt or one from an authorised reseller or a condition report from an independant expert of authenticity. A vero company can report an item and it will be removed immediately and the seller has to deal with the company concerned to prove it is genuine.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I can understand why posters would think this dave, however the facility exists to report trademark violations and listings do get removed but nowhere near enough.

I think they only remove if there are a number of reports not singular from members and will automatically remove when reported by a Vero company.

Either way the fakes are still in abundance on ebay au.     

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply