non response of buyer

What is the protocol when a buyer pays for an item but then doesn't respond to any further communications regarding the pick-up of the item they purchased?  I clearly said it was pick-up only as it was a used boxed game - they seemed happy to bid and then pay the price but have not responded in nearly 4 weeks!  I can see that they have bought other things since that time so obviously have been in contact with other sellers.  Am I responsible for refunding the money even if I don't hear from this person?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

non response of buyer

Tell them to pick it up or you're going to charge them for storage.
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

Refund their money and open a cancellation.

If they don't respond it will take, I think, 10 days for the case to close. At that time you will get your fees back and can relist.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

Personally, I wouldn't do anything, just wait. You have done your part, now it is up to them.  Obviously they are not in a hurry for the item. If they choose to never pick it up, then that is their problem.  I don't see why or how you can be held accountable for this.  I definitely wouldn't refund or cancel, why should you?  You have sold the item, it is paid for, why inconvenience yourself by cancelling a paid for item and then have to get fees back, and relist.  I would just let them decide to pick it up (or not) It's their choice.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

You could run into problems if you keep their money and you may may have to refund it one day, so best to refund it now and at least get your fees back. As it's nearly 4 weeks you need to do it as soon as you possibly can.

I don't know where they stand with paypal on a pick-up item but they may be able to claim item not received for up to 6 months, and you don't want to lose your selling fees as well as refund all their money.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

Love that idea! Not sure whether it would fly or not!!
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

I'm inclined to do this. They are buying other things so why not respond to this purchase? Obviously they don't really want it but then why did they pay for it in the first place!!?? Frustrating indeed.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

I really can't see how the seller would get into trouble.  The Seller is not delivering it. It is supposed to be picked up. Therefore how could they claim "item not received" ?  The Seller has done their part. It is not a case of keeping the money,  the buyer is supposed ro pick it up, how long they decide to take is up to them, how can the seller be responsible for this? If they do not pick it up, how can the Seller be accused of keeping the money? The item is still there waiting to be picked up (maybe forever) but the seller is still not keeping the money, just keeping the item until pick-up!  The buyer has not made any indication that they do not want the item, just not picked it up yet. They have made no indication that they want the sale cancelled or they are asking for a refund, so the sale still stands unless this information is forthcoming.  I still stand by my original response, I would do nothing apart from trying to contact the buyer, maybe see if there is a phone number on record for them and ask them what they intend to do. Sellers can't be expected to mind-read, baby-sit or molly coddle these people and try to figure out how to handle their not picking up their item.  If any one of us in the real world failed to pick up a paid for item, then we would end up losing it. I'm sure, that no-one would be chasing us down and trying to hand deliver it. This buyer has created an unnecessary headache for the seller, and they would go straight to my blocked list after this is sorted out. (if I were the seller) There are enough hassles dealing with the public without inviting more problems.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

I don't think the seller can get into trouble, not if they have been in communication with the buyer & offered pick up times etc

But I know from experience if a buyer paid through paypal & then decided they could not be bothered picking up, all they have to do is ring up ebay or paypal & they will be refunded. The argument given is that they haven't got anything for their money so they are entitled to their money back.

Personally, I think it would be great if ebay introduced a flat fee deduction for those who pay, don't pick up & then demand a refund way down the track. I don't know what you would call it, maybe a handling fee or accounting fee or something. It is not fair that they lose nothing, because you can't even give them a non payment strike.

When you get a buyer who does not pay & does not arrange pick up, at least you can open an unpaid item case and know where you are at.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

non response of buyer

There laws that tell you when and how you can dispose of an item after a person pays for it but does not pick up, even for non-business transactions. These laws say how long you have to keep it and what steps you have to take to advise the buyer before you can take any action at all. From memory it is something along the lines of a month or six weeks, and a registered letter (and maybe a newspaper ad if my memory is correct).

I haven't looked up the regulations for a long time so I can't quote them out of hand, but it is best not to take chances.

Latest reply