parcel left but no signature on delivery

came home to find parcel in box that clearly states signature on delivery, I know nobody I know has signed and I live in the country so no neighbours. so my question is do I inform seller they paid for a service they did not receive and if the parcel was stolen I suppose I would of been out of pocket?.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Yes, I would inform the seller as they are able to lodge a complaint with AusPost. You would not necessarily have been out of pocket if the package had been stolen. The seller would have lodged an investigation with AusPost to search for it. A lot of internal paperwork is kept. It would most probably have been established that the package was taken on the run by the postie or courier, as shown on the delivery sheet, but that a signature was not obtained. Depending on the postage method used, AusPost would be responsible for compensating the seller, who would then resend you the item etc.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@green-gifts-mkd wrote:

Yes, I would inform the seller as they are able to lodge a complaint with AusPost. You would not necessarily have been out of pocket if the package had been stolen. The seller would have lodged an investigation with AusPost to search for it. A lot of internal paperwork is kept. It would most probably have been established that the package was taken on the run by the postie or courier, as shown on the delivery sheet, but that a signature was not obtained. Depending on the postage method used, AusPost would be responsible for compensating the seller, who would then resend you the item etc.

I have had this happen as well. Sellers should note that AustPost may NOT necessarily compensate the seller. Signature on Delivery gives you some minimal coverage but you need to take insurance if the item is valuable. Sellers also need to produce receipts for their original purchase of the item when making a claim.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Yes, that is why I wrote: Depending on the postage method used.

If Click & Send is used with SoD, $100 compensation is payable if it is determined that the parcel is missing. For own packaging/box or other satchels, the seller would have had to purchase Extra Cover for any compensation to be payable.

From my experience, a screenshot of the eBay order and PayPal payment transaction have been sufficient for making a claim via AusPost. But that is because my items are handmade, so the buyer's purchase price is the compensation amount. I am not sure why AusPost is requiring other sellers to produce receipts for their initial purchase of the item.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Sellers should note that AustPost may NOT necessarily compensate the seller. Signature on Delivery gives you some minimal coverage but you need to take insurance if the item is valuable

Buyers would be better noting that unless they request and pay the extra for postal insurance in the event of non delivery, when the seller provides proof of postage they are ineligible to claim Buyer Protection on items not received.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply