pay pal.

why is it that you must offer pay pal ..  their fees are so high..

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

pay pal.

You don't.

You can offer Paymate or get your own credit card facility. Neither of which normally cost less than Paypal.

I wouldn't call 30c + 2.4% that expensive. Works out at about 10% all up for the items I sell. About the same as eBay fees.

You have to work out your costs vs benefits. If you don't offer Paypal there is a good chance your sales will be significantly less. So, lower per item profit vs no profit from any of the sales you don't make.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

.. I have not sold for a long time  , and now that i started again  , i found it  aufully  costly .. thank you  for your reply ..

..  i  think  I am  listing my items  very cheap ..   I might have to up the cost  of my items for example  --

..     as  I listed  an item for  99 cents   postage  was $4.   ---  i only received  $4.57 in pay pal acc..   that is a 42 cent fee ..

.. or  may be  addded on to the postage ..

.. what would you recomend?

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

i noticed item 181209304287 you dont have any sizes of your clothing and i wouldnt include the phone number

in the listing, they can message you if they want

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

its the postage that's killing us 😞
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

@lillie-plusfive wrote:

.. I have not sold for a long time  , and now that i started again  , i found it  aufully  costly .. thank you  for your reply ..

..  i  think  I am  listing my items  very cheap ..   I might have to up the cost  of my items for example  --

..     as  I listed  an item for  99 cents   postage  was $4.   ---  i only received  $4.57 in pay pal acc..   that is a 42 cent fee ..

.. or  may be  addded on to the postage ..

.. what would you recomend?

Not starting stuff at 99c for starters. As you have found, that is likely to be what you sell it for. A lot of common items commonly sell at the starting price these days. The 42c is correct - 30c + 2.4% of $4.99. Paypal charge for the amount of the money deposited with them.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

A long time ago when listing cost was based on many different start prices it used to cost a lot less to start at 99c however it was rarely worth it in the long run even back then. Now you can get 40 free listings a month there is no point in selling anything for 99c which will barely cover the costs of selling unless you are sure of your market or are using it as a loss leader.

IMO the Paypal fee is worth every cent. Without it how many people would be prepared to spend so much with no buyer protection and how many people who haven't the ready cash would be unable to buy if they couldn't use their credit card? There is also the fact that it saves so much time post sale preparing and posting plus it makes book keeping so much easier. 

You are not likely to sell too much with multiple bids when you give so little information in your titles, no size in the jeans for instance. Those ladies mixed items would easily post in a 3kg satchel so no point in restricting your market to local, you also are offering COD as a payment method, that means cash on dlivery, not cash on pick up.

Just a note to end, saying you prefer bank deposit is a very good way of ensuring buyers will be more likely to use Paypal, you may think it shows that you don't like paying the fees but to a buyer it just gives the impression you will be less likely to refund if you cannot be forced to.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

IMO we pay through the nose for paypal.

Whilst I have managed to "understand" the dispute process to my benefit, the fees sting on each and every sale and the customer service is erratic at best - I could have gone on several overseas trips from the funds I have forked out for the benefit of buyer or seller protection - that I hardly have to access as I am responsible and careful buyer and seller. 

Unfortunately, we pay our fees to contribute to covering the activities of the bottom of the barrel buyers and sellers.

But no matter, I can't see it lasting with the market share it currently has for on-line payments.  We are starting to slowly see some alternatives emerging, bout time !!  Services such as paypal offer can only monopolise the market for a fixed time.

Over the next few years if we do start to see some real competition I reckon we will see price go down significantly in order to keep their market share, as I imagine loyalty to paypal as a corporation hovers between extremely low to non-existent, save a few regulars on these boards that sound like walking endorsements for same.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

paypal is still the cheapest safe payment method offered on ebay at the moment that can be used by all members.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

pay pal.

@lyndal1838 wrote:
paypal is still the cheapest safe payment method offered on ebay at the moment that can be used by all members.

I am discussing the matters raised by the OP on a discussion thread.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply