paying cash versus Paypal for Pick up only

Hi, loving this discussion forum!  I have noticed that it is recommended that a purchaser pay cash when they collect an item that has been advertised as pick up only.  why is this recommended?  I thought that if you ask for payment first you would guarantee that a purchaser actually shows up to collect.  Is this not the case?  I've been using Ebay for years now, but feel that I have only scratched the surface when it comes to so many 'correct ways' of doing things.  I enjoy Ebay enormously, even though I really only ever deal in quite small items.  I have 'met' the most delightful people in my time and have had only a handful of purchasers that have proved difficult. Anyway, I am always open to learning, and gosh, some of you out there are amazing with your knowledge!!  Thank you for all of your help.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

no paypal protection for pickup items (althought someone else has pointed out that credit card purchases will be subject to more protection)

k1ooo-slr-sales prevous post: see cut and paste sections below and

click https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and... to go straight to the PayPal user agreement page that these c&p come from):

PayPal Seller Protection Policy

Limitations

S4.1     The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

f.     The item is hand delivered

PayPal Buyer Protection Policy

Eligibility

S10.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

i.     Your purchase is not for:

vi.      Items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf

(end of cut and paste)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

It's because there is no Buyer or Seller Protection available for pick-up items.

For buyers, that means they can not open / win a PayPal dispute for item not as described or not received (sometimes it does happen, and sometimes PayPal make an incorrect decision, but a seller would be able to appeal such a decision).

For sellers, it means if a buyer uses a credit card to fund the payment and then later initiates a chargeback, while the seller may be able to defend it and win, if they fight against the chargeback and lose, there's no way PayPal will cover the refund (as they would if Seller Protection was available and the seller qualified). 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

no paypal protection for pickup items (althought someone else has pointed out that credit card purchases will be subject to more protection)

k1ooo-slr-sales prevous post: see cut and paste sections below and

click https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and... to go straight to the PayPal user agreement page that these c&p come from):

PayPal Seller Protection Policy

Limitations

S4.1     The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

f.     The item is hand delivered

PayPal Buyer Protection Policy

Eligibility

S10.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

i.     Your purchase is not for:

vi.      Items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf

(end of cut and paste)

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

It's because there is no Buyer or Seller Protection available for pick-up items.

For buyers, that means they can not open / win a PayPal dispute for item not as described or not received (sometimes it does happen, and sometimes PayPal make an incorrect decision, but a seller would be able to appeal such a decision).

For sellers, it means if a buyer uses a credit card to fund the payment and then later initiates a chargeback, while the seller may be able to defend it and win, if they fight against the chargeback and lose, there's no way PayPal will cover the refund (as they would if Seller Protection was available and the seller qualified). 

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

thank you for valuable information.

kind regards,

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

thanks so much for explaining that to me. All makes sense.
kind regards,
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I personally get them to pay before pickup, that way there guaranteed to come, and if it's a small item i can leave it in the mail box and not have to deal with them being late.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@robinsonmarineparts wrote:

I personally get them to pay before pickup, that way there guaranteed to come, and if it's a small item i can leave it in the mail box and not have to deal with them being late.

Where do you stand if they come and collect said item, then do a charge back? You've not only lost the money, you've lost the item too.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Good point.

It hasen't happened as yet, but it would still come down who can lie the best. ha ha

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

Where do you stand if they come and collect said item, then do a charge back? You've not only lost the money, you've lost the item too.

Losing the money if the cardholder initiates a chargeback is not a given, with or without Seller Protection.

Many credit card providers don't allow chargebacks when PayPal is the payment processor, and I'm pretty sure some won't allow it for reasons such as not received or not as described when it's a pick-up item, same as PayPal. That primarily leaves unauthorised use.

A seller can take measures to protect themselves if they accept PayPal for a pick-up item...or at least, they can try- you're not given the cardholder details when you get a PP payment, but if you ask the buyer to present ID and the card at point of collection (and take copy of the ID), as well as get them to sign a delivery receipt, the seller would at least have the opportunity to refuse to sell if the details don't match, and/or gain some evidence to fight against a fraudulent claim of unauthorised use (it's unlikely to help in the case of genuine unauthorised use). Such a request might not go down so well, so it would basically be a matter of risking offence to minimise the risk of accepting PP for a pick-up item. 

If all else fails, you have a verified name and ID to give the police.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Lol at some of the answers on this thread 🙂

As a buyer for larger pick up goods that involves high $$$ i would only ever fund by credit card by paypal as it offers a level of credible third party evidence and credit card insurance protection if goods are stolen or fraudulently represented in some way. I would never rock up to a pick up with wads of cash in any case.
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply