paypal chargeback after leaving +ve feedback?

bennyniccolo
Community Member

Hi, I have just received a Paypal 'Temporary Hold Pending Investigation'  on another ID. I rarely get these and am not sure what to do. The item was a character t shirt sent to USA, just regular mail ($22 shirt + postage all up). Buyer has left positive feedback about 1.5 weeks after I sent it.

Today I have received a Paypal email as buyer has said her credit card use was unauthorised. I checked her feedback and she has bought similar items from a UK seller just days prior, so I just emailed that seller. That seller has also received positive feedback, and has said she has had a dispute opened today too, but is yet to get back to me on the details of if it is the same buyer...

Where do we stand if the same thing has happened to both of us, and why the positive feedback left if it is someone using unauthorised credit card? Obviously they have the buyer's Paypal AND ebay details then???

Thanks so much

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I would suggest you report their account as hijacked.

It would seem someone has managed to find out details of all their account.... They probably have been caught by a Nigerian scammer... or someone similar.

Give all the information you have to eBay, and trust the system set in place as it is in general very good and usually gets the right advice.

There will prolly be others with a lot more and better advice then this but its a start.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

If you have valid proof of shipping (official documentation from Australia Post etc that shows the buyer's delivery address as shown on the payment notification), you should qualify for Seller Protection. You will need to upload the documentation to the PayPal dispute.

If you don't have that documentation, you will pretty much lose this case - and the funds.

Positive feedback indicates that a person received the goods you sent, unfortunately it doesn't prove that the person who owns the card that was used to purchase the goods actually authorised the payment for them, and you will likely never know if the buyer is actually pulling an admittedly common scam, or someone's card was actually used fraudulently. Either way, it will be very difficult to retain the payment if you don't have something that can give you Seller Protection. PayPal will also pass on a $15 bank fee (charged by the bank) if you fight the chargeback and lose, meaning you're out the full payment + $15.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

There is no question that the buyer received the goods so feedback is irelevent.

When you sell you have to decide if you are going to post by a method that qualifies for Paypal seller protection or you are going to refund if a bank chargeback is done for fraudulent card use.

As you have no proof of posting that qualifies for Paypal seller protection you would be better to just tell them you agree to the chargeback, if you try and fight it you will lose and Paypal will charge you an extra $15.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

OP Did you know that you can track a CN22 customs declaration (the little green form that asks the weight and what is in the package) on the USPS site. ?? 

OP Did you know that with a stat dec  stating that you sent the package to the buyers address, a postal receipt and the correlating CN22 information as long as the buyer and the cardholder are the same person you will probably win the chargeback??

Millions of paypal transactions occur everyday.... off ebay...... paypal has the same duty of care to protect those users from chargebacks.

Those sellers can never qualify for ebay seller protection yet they win chargeback claims.

OP follow the links to the Paypal chargeback guide

Not qualifying for ebay seller protection does certainly not mean you will automatically lose a chargeback claim.

..... ask the helpers for a link to the information they quote????

here is mine to my information

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/chargeback_guide

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/ChargebackFAQ

I wonder why paypal chargeback guide suggests that sellers use feedback or correspondence with the buyer yet some of the advice on this thread ignores and refutes that advice???

What information can a seller provide to increase the chances of winning a chargeback dispute?

The following types of information can increase the chances of a chargeback dispute being ruled in favor of the seller:

• Proof of delivery, such as online tracking numbers.

• Copies of the original item description or auction description, including any photos.

• Proof that the buyer was already refunded.

• Proof that the buyer was provided with a replacement product.

• Correspondence with the buyer or feedback from the buyer.

• Any agreements signed or accepted by the buyer at time of purchase.

• Any return policy that was communicated to the buyer.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

OP also make sure you stay in contact with the other seller.

If you can find more affected sellers that also sent items to the same buyer your case may be stronger.

Any emails stating that the card use was unauthorized that came from the buyer can help you as well dependant upon source, and address especially if they are the cardholder.

You should report the ebay and paypal accounts as hijacked

It may be easier to defend an unauthorized use chargeback with a more secure postal mode or one that qualifies for the SPP but that certainly does not make it impossible to defend a chargeback with less than the SPP requires

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

I wonder why paypal chargeback guide suggests that sellers use feedback or correspondence with the buyer yet some of the advice on this thread ignores and refutes that advice???

Because there are two different types of chargebacks. One is for an item not received - correspondence and/or feedback from the buyer that indicates receipt of an item would veto the claim and help a seller win a case.

When it's an unauthorised use claim like this, there is no dispute about whether an item was received or not so it's not the issue and positive feedback will do little to nothing to prove that the person who left it was authorised to use the card that funded the purchase.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

When it is an unauthorized use chargeback if the cardholders name and address coincides with the name and address that the seller sent the item too

............. how relevant then is who the item was received by and whether it was received  as far as unauthorized use is concerned????

How relevant is it if the ebay account that supplied positve feedback is the same Name and address as the cardholder and that account has not been reported as hijacked???

I think you assume too much digital....links.... I like links.....word of mouth??.... a little hard to trust!!

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

cardholders name Joe Bloggs

13 nowhereseville street

Nowhere

Joe raises a chargeback for unauthorized card use.

Muggins the seller is able to prove that a package was delivered to

Joe Bloggs

13 nowhereseville street

Nowhere

How relevant is delivery  detail to an unauthorised use chargeback???

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 10 of 29
Latest reply