selling tips to improve my sales i sell trading cards and jewelry

k.c86
Community Member

for all the trading card and jewlery  sellers and buyers.what do you look for in an add or store when buying cards or jewlery??

thanks in advance

i'm trying to improve my sales so i'd be very grateful for any tips 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

cq_tech
Community Member
Clear images and honest, detailed descriptions are the most important things IMO.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

The right categories for the jewellery so that you can avoid sanctions.

Read here the other day that someone listed a gold ring in fine jewellery, but because it had something like a cubic zirconia as the gem, they got zapped.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

You have your trading cards listed under sporting goods.

When i look for such things i go to Trading Cards,so maybe you will miss some buyers.If you aren't getting enough views,then you might want to change that.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I sell jewellery, so may be able to help a bit with that...

First and foremost, jewellery is very much a visual category - by which I mean presentation is important. Photos don't need to look like they were taken by a pro in a studio (mine certainly don't Smiley LOL ), but they do need to be clear, crisp, bright and show detail, as well as (preferably) show them in the right scale, which is tricky, but do-able with multiple pics (eg use a common coin, a matchstick, or show them in the palm of the hand to give people a visual idea of sizes, and if something looks a lot bigger in a gallery pic, use keywords in the title like petite, small or tiny and/or exact measurements). 

My top photography tips for jewellery (as I prefer, so what works for me may not always work for someone else), clean, non-busy backgrounds that have a decent amount of contrast with the item being photographed (this is primarily because I suck at composing pictures any other way - props etc look awful in my photos Smiley Surprised  ), natural light, but not direct sunlight (flash is not generally recommended), use the macro setting on digital cameras to get decent close-ups that aren't blurry or 'noisy' (noise gives images a kind of static-y effect), take images from slightly further away or wider angles to give you some space to edit and crop nicely, and learn to use some standard image editing functions in a program like Windows Gallery if you have a PC, which will let you adjust things like brightness, reduce shadows, change colour temperature, contrast etc. (My images are not very good at all until I've adjusted a few things). 

Research the generic style or design names for certain pieces so that you can use your keywords more effectively - the drop earrings could also be described as chain / tassel / beaded / dangle earrings,  then describe everything that the buyer can't tell from looking at the photos  - all materials used, sizes / measurements, if non-precious metals whether they're free of common elements buyers avoid like lead and nickel (the description doesn't have to be lengthy, just informative). 

Jewellery is a saturated category, so IMHO, and in my experience, being cheap isn't going to get you anywhere near as far as being different, and there are a lot of little ways a seller can be different - some general ways may be range (diverse, off-beat, catering to a sub-culture, etc), other little touches like packaging and so on. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@2011.narelle wrote:

You have your trading cards listed under sporting goods.

When i look for such things i go to Trading Cards,so maybe you will miss some buyers.If you aren't getting enough views,then you might want to change that.

I agree. I just checked a friends listings and he has his collector trading cards under collectables --> trading cards.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I just did the search in Trading Cards-AFL cards & none of OP's items  are in it.

Dunno but I'm not going to bet my nerd attracting Marvel superheroes t-shirt that the AFL cards should be listed in sporting goods category.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

hi everyone sorry for the late replieskids are plaaying up lol

soundslike i have to check my catorgies 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

this is very informative
thanks heaps
sorry for the late reply
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Collector cards - be very honest about condition eg creases, staining, corner dings, dog ears, foxing, yellowing.

Don't use the term mint unless the item really really is mint. Use description and keywords to your advantage

(trade cards, trading cards, collector cards, swap cards, gum cards etc). Are they promotional items, are

they food issue cards, food issue premiums, are they Australian/foreign, original source, date?

Study other listings.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply