selling to uk and america.

Hi,can anyone tell me if it is worthwhile selling to uk and america,I am only selling to au at this time.so i am not sure if it is worth it?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Hi, both countries have really large crafting communities and also a great many craft stores and shops etc.  I stopped selling overseas as ebays fees on postage bit into my profits and also items these days need tracking or insurance to come into line with the Money Back Guarantee.  It all gets a little too hard especially if you are selling low profit items, you can sometimes waste way too much time on the outside things, just get into doing the best job you can do here in Aust or locally.  

Give it a go if you really want, be like the rest of us, we have wins and losses, make mistakes or really achieve.

Good luck with your choices

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Definitely worth trying USA, it's a huge market.

But when you list on eBay.com and enter postage details, keep in mind the postage shows from USA so there is an option to select standard from outside of USA.

And you may need to sign the eBay International trading agreement. 

(If the link for that doesn't appear when doing your first listing, come back here and I shall find it for you)(Not on my home computer at moment)

image host
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Also, not sure of the weight of your buttons but, I guess you are aware of the increase of the cost of letter post which was just amended this January, you could be letting yourself down by not charging enough postage.  

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I sell a few items to the UK and USA. I list everything that I want to go overseas as 'Pack and Track', if I sold using airmail I would sell more, but there is no tracking. If there is a dispute for missing parcels I could lose due to no tracking.

You could use airmail to both these countries to start off with. If buyers start questioning on where is their item is, the second option to use is Pack and Track or Registered.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@debonnairefashions wrote:

I sell a few items to the UK and USA. I list everything that I want to go overseas as 'Pack and Track', if I sold using airmail I would sell more, but there is no tracking. If there is a dispute for missing parcels I could lose due to no tracking.

You could use airmail to both these countries to start off with. If buyers start questioning on where is their item is, the second option to use is Pack and Track or Registered.

You can also lose a dispute even with tracking if it doesn't show as delivered. Here, you only have to have proof of postage to win most disputes. Most places overseas the tracking has to say delivered.

I gave up selling overseas, too many dramas, far too expensive.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

I sell to the UK and USA, and I use REGISTERED post or airmail - never had a problem.

I only had issues when I used Pack and Track (and they were few and far between).

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

All of my Pack and Track have turned up and have not had any missing parcels. I now have on my listings to the rest of the countries where Pack and Track not available, I will only post Registered.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If you are thinking of selling internationally New Zealand is quite a good market to sell to and the shipping costs aren't too bad to NZ.

You don't need to list on the separate sites - with your current listings you can just add International Post and select which countries you would like to sell to.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@saarzi wrote:

I sell to the UK and USA, and I use REGISTERED post or airmail - never had a problem.

I've experiemented with both and did have a P&T shipment delayed by quite a while, but there were some extreme weather conditions over in the US at the time so I suspect that contributed. Most of my items go untracked letter rate, though, and even then, while I do get the odd query if a package hasn't arrived after about 2-3 weeks, 99% of the time the package has arrived by the date I suggest we wait for. 

I'm currently using pack and track exclusively as I get a discount on that service but not registered, plus reg'd isn't trackable in Oz and the US is no longer showing tracking results online once it gets there. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply