think i'm being scammed by a buyer...

I recently sold a videogame, the seller had the option to choose registered post for a bit extra, but choose standard post instead. 

My postage prices include the HANDLING costs of a item, the materials to pack the item, petrol to go to the town to post it ect... 

now he is saying he never got it. he admitted the postie left items on top of his letter box ... 

it has almost been a month, i posted it on the 2/01/13... maybe the mail is backed up from new years??

I don't know what do do..

i have the postage receipt as proof that I did send the item. and he acknowledges i did send it, but is still saying he never got it. 

I can't help but feel he has gotten the item... which is why i will be contacting his LPO first thing tomorrow morning, and I already sent a inquiry to australia post about the missing article...

regards basil1160... 😞

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

You'll need to refund the buyer

you need to protect yourself as a seller

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Hmm since they chose Standard post, that's a tough one. Might depend on how much it cost you all up. If it's quite costly and you're losing a bit of money by refunding, you may aswell go the dispute route and just see how it turns out.

If you can afford to wear the cost, maybe just refund them. It should save you a negative feedback if nothing else. Don't give up yet, though.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

You should look into click and send, you would have paypal protection for $6.20 instead of the $9.90 you are charging at the moment

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Why give buyers a choice? ofcourse they will choose the cheaper option, posting by a safe trackable method protects the seller, paypal protects the buyer,  if you sent the item by standard post you have no proof of postage so may as well refund now and save time waiting for PP to do it for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Whatever you choose to do, make sure to put this buyer on your block list if you feel you are being scammed, so they can't burn you again.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

If you had Registered Post as an option in the checkout and the buyer chose not to use it, i wouldn't refund the buyer. They took the risk of normal post when Registered Post was on offer.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

As Paypal will protect the buyer, why would the buyer choose a postage option that costs more for no benefit to them?

And why would a seller give them that option?

How many parcels have you had gone missing that didn't have tracking basil? Roughly how many more sales (or higher price achieved) have you had because you don't insist on registered? Is the nett figure for those more or less than the cost to you of refunding this one? If more, you are still in front.

As howie said, look at click and send. It is far cheaper than a normal satchel and includes Paypal protection. They also do own packaging, 3kg satchels, and B1, B2 and B4 boxes.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

If you had Registered Post as an option in the checkout and the buyer chose not to use it, i wouldn't refund the buyer. They took the risk of normal post when Registered Post was on offer.

Very bad advice; buyer will get refund from PP and most likely leave NEG.

The best option for cheap items is click&send tracking, and for more expensive ones C&S with signature.  And I decide which option.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

If you aren't prepared to refund if a buyer says their parcel is missing then you need to post by a method that qualifies for seller protection, registered or click & send.

Why would a buyer choose to pay extra for registered post when they have Paypal buyer protection?

Your postage costs are way over the top which is probably why you are not selling much, you can include the cost of packaging materials and the time it takes to prepare your parcel for delivery but that is where it ends, you are not allowed to add in the time or petrol for taking it to the PO!

Most of your items would, I imagine, fit in a 500g satchel which would cost you $6.20 plus a few cents for the ebay branded satchel used with click & send. You can add a dollar or two on for packaging and handling but any more than that would put buyers right off.

You may have a receipt that says you sent something to a particular suburb but it could have been a present for your Aunt Flo who lives three streets away from the buyer for all Paypal know.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 29
Latest reply