to sell or not to sell ???

we have been on ebay for less than 2 years and have recently stopped buying / selling for obvious reasons.

for xmas we received an expensive gaming console which we do not want but cannot be returned. it is still new, unused and has never been removed from its box.

problem is we are wanting to sell it but with the changes in ebay / paypal policies and all the recent horror stories the thought of listing it on ebay is positively scary. what if in 1 month or even 5 months time the buyer puts in a some stupid claim, wins the dispute, is given a $400.00 refund and we end up with a used half wrecked console that is now only worth $50.00 plus we are out $70.00 in fees and postage costs.

is this how it works now or am i being paranoid...

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Yes there sure are plenty of horror stories about expensive item sales going horridly wrong for the seller.
I too would feel very reticent to list something like that on here.
Our stuff only averages about $10 per item so is not so scary.
Personally I would sell via something like Gumtree (still EBay by the way) or even an ad in your local paper.
Good luck with it.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

@streetbeastshop wrote:

we have been on ebay for less than 2 years and have recently stopped buying / selling for obvious reasons.

for xmas we received an expensive gaming console which we do not want but cannot be returned. it is still new, unused and has never been removed from its box.

problem is we are wanting to sell it but with the changes in ebay / paypal policies and all the recent horror stories the thought of listing it on ebay is positively scary. what if in 1 month or even 5 months time the buyer puts in a some stupid claim, wins the dispute, is given a $400.00 refund and we end up with a used half wrecked console that is now only worth $50.00 plus we are out $70.00 in fees and postage costs.

is this how it works now or am i being paranoid...

Can I ask, what are the obvious reasons for not buying ? If you do your research & know what your after, it's easy. Selling on the other hand, I think is much harder these days.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

buying locally is quicker, just as cheap and any warranty or d.o.a. claims are quicker and easier to resolve.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

yep buy locally, much safer and easier than eBay.....you can actually talk to people who will try and help
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

agree totoally
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

If you're on Facebook, try some of your local Buy, Swap and Sell sites. Most areas have them. Something like that would sell really quickly. Cash on pick up (I always meet at a mutual place, like the local supermarket carpark so people don't come to my home). If they wreck it in 5 months time, there is no chance of you having to refund them through some stupid policy.

I know on my local Facebook sites, phones and game consoles sell within minutes of being advertised.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

Can I ask, what are the obvious reasons for not buying ? If you do your research & know what your after, it's easy. Selling on the other hand, I think is much harder these days.

Horizon I know you asked the OP, but as a once significant spender on eBay I would like to post the reason I have cut my buying back on eBay by thousands of dollars each year - its simples ..... the deplorable manner in which eBay treats decent sellers - including moi.  

I pretty much only buy on eBay when:

I do not have time to shop around on the net (I find that increasingly I make time to avoid buying on eBay Cat Happy)

or

I am purchasing from a long time (pre 2013 fee changes) favoured seller that I have some loyality to

or

I stumble across a bargain by auction or buy-it-now that has a price that is too good to resist that comes up via a very, very narrow selection of saved searches. 

I have taken the bulk of my buying elsewhere, and if I have time am actually happy to pay a few dollars more so as to punish eBay and their swiss bank account by not adding a few more dollars to the coffers on a regular basis.

I don't care if eBay don't care.  I care.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

for xmas we received an expensive gaming console which we do not want but cannot be returned

Is that because you don't want to ask the person who gave the gift if you can return it/swap it for something else?

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

for xmas we received an expensive gaming console which we do not want but cannot be returned

Is that because you don't want to ask the person who gave the gift if you can return it/swap it for something else?

Why is it a private posting IDs beeswax as to why it cannot be returned?

The OP is not seeking advice on returning the goods to the retailer.  They are asking about selling and safety of this trading place

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply