what do I do if a buyer does not want the item anymore

The buyer did not read the item correctly as it was pick up only and she lives too far away to pick it up and does not want the item now. What do I do?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You can initiate a mutual cancellation request, the buyer needs to agree to this officially when they get the request, as then you will get your final value fees back.

You should email the buyer and say you are willing to cancel, if she will agree.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

is the item suitable to post <. if so offer buyer to have the item posted at there cost.

if not then ask buyer to agree to cancelle transaction. its a shame that people dont read full discriptions on listings before bidding or pressing buy now it would save a lot of messing around for both buyers & sellers. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I would not offer mutual cancellation, I would go through the unpaid iten dispute process so the buyer gets a strike, I get my fvf back and they cannot leave any feedback.

That way they may actually read the listing next timne!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

A tad harsh PJ.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I don't agree. 

For a mutual cancellation, if the buyer hits "decline" option by accident then the seller is out of pocket and if they hit "agree" they get their fee credit BUT both of these options will leave the buyer the opportunity to leave feedback. Depending on the buyer's temperament, the seller may end up with a negative because of the buyer mistake in not reading the listing properly.

Additionally, this may be pattern behaviour from a buyer.  If they have done this before and the sellers in those cases did the mutual cancel option then the buyer behaviour is reinforced as they get an outcome that pleases them.  Do the UPI case and have them issued with a strike to break the pattern behaviour (if it is there) by taking the outcome out of their hands.  I agree with PJ, give them a lesson.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

My personal MO is mutual cancellation if the buyer contacts me - I offer returns for change of mind as it is, so for me it's just a different point in the transaction where the buyer can decide they don't want an item, and at least I don't waste any further time on it.

Non-responsive buyers and a few other select circumstances, UPI. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

nikara
Community Member

I had a similar thing happen, a buyer bought one of my items up for a BIN price and then messaged me a little while after saying they're sorry sorry but they won't be needing it now.

Then sent me another a little while later saying to ignore the last message and they will buy it. THEN another one a few hours later saying they won't be needing it. With no apology. By this time I was pretty annoyed, especially as they didn't apologise or seem concerned they had messed me around.

So I just agreed to cancel the transaction but sent them a message stating firmly that I'm not happy with the fact they messed me around and to be sure they want something next time as I could have easily taken another option that wouldn't have worked out as scott free for them. Worked in my case, I didn't want to reprimand by taking a non paid option, as annoyed as I was, but hopefully they understood that they need to make their mind up BEFORE they buy it. It was mostly his care-free non apologetic attitude that annoyed me.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply