Return policy on 2nd hand books

Hi,

I am about to add a return policy to my 2nd hand book listings. The rare time I have had a problem I have happily refunded in full, including postage, but I haven't stated this as a policy.

What I am wondering is do other booksellers get many returns under their refund policy?  To me 30 days seems an invitation to read the book and then return it for a refund.

I'd be really interested in any thoughts on this that other sellers have, and what kind of return policies work best for both the seller and the buyer.

Thanks, Prue

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I have never had anybody want to return a book, but my return policy is - "I only accept returns if the item is not as described", and the terms are 7 days. I am not a TRS and am unlikely ever to be, so visibility in 'best' match is always going to be low, regardless of the changes eBay makes.

As I take real pics of my books and list all defects, I don't expect to have to deal with returns.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

I don't actually have one as such.On some books I do and I will refund only if it is not as described. You get 7 days to return.

Dave

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I AGREE 30 days is too long, and as you say, it can be read in that time...

My return policy is "if not as described in the original listing". 

I have 7 day return, with buyer to pay postage.

I actually state my condition as "good" even though they are better than "good",

& then I state any defects in the description

I also message "if there are any problems, please message me"

I haven't had a return yet.  Regards Linda

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks to all for taking time to reply, its appreciated.

I am surprised that a lot of sellers state buyer to pay return postage when the book is faulty or not as described. If the seller has made a mistake or missed a fault, isn't it their responsibility to pay return postage?

I recently had a buyer contact me saying there was a fault with an expensive book. I took their word for it and offered a full refund including return postage, or a substantial refund if they wanted to keep the book. They kept the book, left me good feedback and did not give me low star ratings for item as described. I did my best to resolve it quickly, but feel I was very lucky not to get a neutral or low stars...

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

So far the only problems I've had with not as described are where there are pages missing or patterns missing. I've either bought and sent another book at no cost to the buyer or refunded without question.

I have a problem with any refund policy where it's as described as some people read fairly quickly and can get through a book in a day so they could easily receive, read and complain in the one day. My youngest is in that category and when I had more time I was too.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

Prue sellers put that bit in to deter people from just changing their minds once recieved

Dave

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply