Constantly having to Sign in to EBay and then asked to Verify via Captcha or similar.

Hi.

Over the last few days everytime I close the browser on Ebay - I have to Sign in again and again .... I am then asked to VERIFY myself via Captcha or similar.

Up until this started a few days ago, everything was fine - and I was able to access Ebay just by pressing my Saved Favourite.

I realise that there have been others with similar issues, but this is becoming really frustrating!!

I have tried ticking the box in My Preferences (and this inlcudes unticking) time and time again, but still I have to re-sign in and then Verify myself.

I have also tried deleting the Cache but this also doesn't work.

This issue seems to happen every 6 months or so - and I'm not sure why.

I operate on Windows 10 with an up-to-date computer with no other issues.

I use Dashlane Password Manager to automatically log in to my favourite sites.

Hoping someone can shed some light on how to fix this yet again .......

P.S I use an Up-to-date Chrome Browser.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Constantly having to Sign in to EBay and then asked to Verify via Captcha or similar.

Generally, repeated requests for sign in credentials every time you open a browser is a sign that your browser is not retaining cookies, or is clearing them when you close the browser. There are some cleaner programs that periodically erase browser cookies as well.

If you are sure you are not using a private or incognito browser window, or clearing your cookies or blocking third party cookies, you may have a problem with a blocked or corrupt eBay cookie -- but if that is the case, using a different browser should not have the same problem. Still, it might be worth completely erasing just your eBay cookies in your original browser. Sometimes an automatic "clear all" will not affect a problem cookie, while manually erasing it should.

If problems continue, try disabling any add-ons or extensions; in some cases things like ad blockers or script blockers can interfere with sign in pages. If that is the problem, you can disable the ad blocker just on the sign in page so you do not have to subject yourself to ads otherwise.

Chrome and Edge share some common code and default settings; it might be worth trying another browser such as Firefox, though you will likely have to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection on eBay using the shield icon to the left of the page address.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Check to make sure your browser is not deleting your cookies when you close the browser -- that would cause you to have to sign in and verify yourself every time you start up the browser again.

Or try another browser.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I have checked Cookies and chrome is set to allow for sites to remember login details.

I also tried Edge Browser but exactly the same issue.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Generally, repeated requests for sign in credentials every time you open a browser is a sign that your browser is not retaining cookies, or is clearing them when you close the browser. There are some cleaner programs that periodically erase browser cookies as well.

If you are sure you are not using a private or incognito browser window, or clearing your cookies or blocking third party cookies, you may have a problem with a blocked or corrupt eBay cookie -- but if that is the case, using a different browser should not have the same problem. Still, it might be worth completely erasing just your eBay cookies in your original browser. Sometimes an automatic "clear all" will not affect a problem cookie, while manually erasing it should.

If problems continue, try disabling any add-ons or extensions; in some cases things like ad blockers or script blockers can interfere with sign in pages. If that is the problem, you can disable the ad blocker just on the sign in page so you do not have to subject yourself to ads otherwise.

Chrome and Edge share some common code and default settings; it might be worth trying another browser such as Firefox, though you will likely have to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection on eBay using the shield icon to the left of the page address.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thank You so much Eburtonlab for taking the time to resolve my issue - very much appreciated!!

I realised, after reading your response, that I had just installed CCleaner on my computer. When I went into Settings I could see that Cookies are cleared via this program, everytime I close the browser. I also noticed that Ebay was not on the Exception List.

After adding Ebay to the exception list - everything works as it did previously.

I no longer have to enter my credentials everytime I open and close my browser.

Thanks again for helping me with this. I hope that something great comes your way!!  

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

You are very welcome -- so glad to hear you were able to figure it out!

Thanks for posting a follow-up and mentioning the exception list of CCleaner. That may wind up helping someone else that winds up in the same position who comes across this thread later.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I login with a username and password, why should you need anymore info than that, capturing what? There is absolutely no need for you to ‘capture’ any more information than that!

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Other members don't

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

It's Captcha not capture, it's a means of identifying a human as opposed to a robot, and it's used in many sites to do just that.

Google it...........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Did you bother to read and/or try ebutonlab's solution?

Or did you just drag up a three year old thread to have a whinge?

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply