UX Bug - Unable to upload image within 2nd and subsequent messages within a 'returns' thread.

After receiving an incorrect part number on an order, I made a returns request with a seller and attached a couple of images with my initial returns request message.

The seller then asked for a different photo of the part number on the label of the packaging (quite a resonable and necessary request) - via the returns messaging process.

I then replied to that Seller message within the returns thread, but unlike the initial opening post of the returns thread, I have no Attach image option with any subsequent messages sent via the returns thread process.   I tried via desktop and via iPhone app to reply to the returns thread with an additional photo.  This is madness.   

Everything you need to know about this ridiculous UX situation is in the attached screen grab.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 152754-1.png

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

UX Bug - Unable to upload image within 2nd and subsequent messages within a 'returns' thread.

Just open a SNAD refund request. You only have 30 days from the date of arrival of the wrong item.

Do not close it before the seller had accepted the return request and provided you with a returns label, and provided you with full refund (after the returned item had the status in tracking of “delivered”).

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You should also be able to send them a direct message via ebay which will allow you too include photos.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I'm reporting a UI/UX bug.  'Work-around' solutions are not the point.   

The returns request process should enable image upload beyond the opening post - that way, everything is contained and documented withing the returns process thread - a common sense basic feature that exists with every.single.other threaded conversation platform on the internet.  Even this Khoros powered community platform we are using to discuss this stupid omission by the numb-nuts at eBay. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Then report it to eBay

Other members cannot fix it or change it for you

If you are going to bring it up on the member to member forum, and then just carp all over 'work around' suggestions from other members trying to help , I am not sure what you actually want us to do about it 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

OP, this “bug” is almost certainly deliberate.

You will be bitterly disappointed if you use the returns/refund process as a nice long chat and opportunity to send multiple photos to the seller. For the purpose of eBay’s MBG, you should upload the required or necessary photo within the complaint or case, together with the appropriate reason for the refund request. Seller has a specific number of days (3 business days) in which to resolve the issue. If no satisfactory response within that time (such as accepting return and providing you with return postage label, so that you can return the SNAD/INAD item to the seller, and upon tracking showing “delivered” status, seller refunding you in full), the option to escalate so that eBay “steps in” becomes available.

Some sellers (esp. those registered in China) will deliberately attempt to draw out a refund or replacement request as they know the case will automatically close without resolution after 21 days - and it can’t be reopened.

You should never allow a seller to fluff around with further requests for additional photos etc, or a lot of back and forth.

eBay’s returns process is very simple and bot-driven. Act within the timeframe, or the window will close forever. It’s without human intervention; check the MBG help page to see the timeframes.

That’s not to say that eBay’s coding is riddled with bloated code, depreciated features, bugs, technical glitches and bad design. It is.

Your chances of getting any eBay bug actually fixed by posting on the boards are zero to a toad in a black hole.

If you have let a dispute time out, you’ll have to rely on PayPal Buyer Protection (which won’t cover the return cost any more) - if you paid by PayPal - or a credit chargeback if you funded your purchase by debit/credit card … and not both at the same time; PayPal will instantly close a PayPal case if the buyer has also gone a chargeback request.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Given it's now been more than 2 months, if you still think you are going to get a refund, think again. WAAAAAYYYYYY past the cut off point. I suspect you bought from a Chinese seller, who, as mentioned, are great for padding out the time so you can't make a claim. They won. You lost. Sorry. I just hope it wasn't a large amount of money that you lost. 

Read up on the ebay money back guarantee, so this doesn't happen again.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply