feedback

malcolmjefferyes
Community Member
G'day , the way ebay has set up feedback is open to abuse and is being abused , in particular I refer to the seller holding the buyer to ransom by with holding their feedback until after the buyer has received the goods and left their feedback ... ie. some days after the seller has completed their side of the transaction , once the buyer has paid for the goods + the seller has sent them , that is when from their perspective the deal is finished and when they should be leaving their feedback ... not days/weeks later , and not after the buyer . this system is open to + encourages the buyers to try and extort 5 stars when may well be not warranted.
I hope ebay close this loophole promptly ,
thanks , mal
Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

feedback

G'day Mal,

I don't think there will ever be an equitable feedback system, we just have to make do with the best of a bad lot.

I originally would leave feedback for buyers as soon as I received payment but found many wouldn't bother to leave me any, fair enough you don't want BAD but a pat on the back is always nice.

Now days I leave feedback if it is left for me, if I don't get any I don't dwell on it, I know some people have better things to do and so long as they are happy I am happy.

The star rating system is completely anonymous, you can rate as honestly as you like, I don't see how anyone could extort a better rating really regardless of feedback, so don't feel pressured at all there.

Jenny
Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

I think that Feedback should be an automatic positive for a seller after one month if the buyer hasn't bothered to leave any yet.
Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

supply_to_u
Community Member
There's always going to be bad apples in every bunch, but I would say that the vast majority of sellers do not hold buyer's to feedback ransom. Personally I leave feedback after it's left for me because I'm interested to know if the buyer is happy once they receive their item. My job as a seller does not finish when I get paid and send the item out. I will generally leave feedback after about a month or so if I remember, because I would assume after that length of time the buyer would have either received their item, or contacted me to let me know there was a problem.

However, the complete opposite is true for buyers holding sellers to feedback ransom. Buyers are the only ones able to leave negs, and have been known to threaten it if a seller doesn't bow to their terms. It's completely one sided, the only way a seller can express a negative experience is to leave no feedback whatsoever. Meaning they can't communicate to the ebay community of a problem buyer. This is a very big flaw with the system. Problem sellers are easily spotted, problem buyers are not.

If you try to sell something malcolm, you will get a more balanced view and understand why some sellers do what they do. Feedback is completely optional. A buyer can choose to not leave any, so can a seller. That is the only balanced part of the whole system.
Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

As a buyer, I always leave f/back once I receive the item and I also email the seller to let her/him know that I received it and I am happy with it.

Only once have I left neutral feedback, but I let the seller know that I was doing it and why.

They didnt leave f/back for me, but it doesnt worry me.
Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

rustydogrobert
Community Member
In the early days I used to leave feedback as soon as I'd posted the item, but when so many buyers didn't respond I decided to wait until I received ir.
At the moment I have 4 outstanding, and have just received a message fro eBay to "be a star" and post feedback......Yeah.....right!
Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

I believe a transaction isnt finished until the buyer has received the goods and is 100% happy.

It is the seller's responsibilty to ensure the goods reach the buyer. If the goods go astray in the mail it is up to seller to approach Aust Post and put in a claim.

Sellers can no longer leave neg feedback for buyers so I cant see what the OP means by 'holding buyers to ransom'. nicegreen is right about the star system being anonymous.
Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

hevsdownunder
Community Member
I totally agree with sell to u and others. My job is not finished, as a seller, until I know that the item has been recieved in a satifactory condion. I dont extort FB for that, all I ask is that they let me know, an email is fine.....
Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

starlightsobright
Community Member
Hi I got one of those emails today to leave feedback for a buyer who had not paid and did not even bother to respond to any of my emails for the transaction to be cancelled.
Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

feedback

hevsdownunder
Community Member
And in cases like that it sucks that you cant neg them Yes ok they get a strike, but no one sees that do they?
Message 10 of 38
Latest reply