Considering using a trading assistant

Hi all. I am considering hiring a trading assistant. I have a huge personal collection of vintage and some antique items. I am getting on now and really would like to make a big hole in them

I have glass, china, vintage linens, Chinese snuff bottles, vintage jewellery etc etc.

I have been collecting since I was 12. 

I have sold things over the years, but it is hard work.

I am or will be in the Perth Northern suburbs later this year.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I don't know if trading assistants are a "thing" any more.

One of the problems is that anyone who is going to take on the selling of your items on their account is going to be liable if things go wrong.

Or, if the assistant sells through your account, you would have to give them access and that would be a huge trust issue!

I live in Perth, so I might be able to help you if you're looking for someone just to maybe stage the items and take photographs? I used to sell antiques and vintage items myself many years ago.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Why not sell to an antique and collectables dealer instead. Money straight into your pocket! 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

That's a good idea.

Alternatively, an auction house could be a good option to get rid of some of the items.

I used to go to one regularly when I lived in Melbourne - spent a small fortune there buying up other peoples antiques!

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Because, Jane, you'd only get one third of what they're worth.

Trust me on that one.

I had a B & M buying and selling that stuff, and that's what I gave my estimates on.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Hi jellybirddesigns.

Thank you for replying.

Yes I think trading assistants are probably far and few between.

Also the trust issues etc could be a great problem.

That is so kind of you to offer to stage and take photographs.

Funnily enough, as I am a bit of a perfectionist, everything takes such a long time.

But one of the most time consuming things for me really is packing the items.

I use pre paid satchels and quite often sold multiple items as I charged just a small fee for each combined item.

Hopefully I can find your post again when we move back down to Perth.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

There are literally just one or two in Perth. Melbourne would be a dream place for auctions ๐Ÿ™‚

Perhaps I could look into this a little more.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Yes that would be really sad. I have spent so many years on my collections, often bringing a suitcase full of stuff back from relatives in the UK which they no longer wanted.

So I have learned so much and have pretty good ideas of values.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Stawks, 

then obviously you donโ€™t have the gift of the haggle. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The biggest mistake people make with their items is their emotional attachment. Often thinking an item is worth more than it really is.

When one takes into account listing each item, photos, packing, waiting for the sale, re-listing  the unsold items,  โ€ฆ.. rinse and repeatโ€ฆ. And then fees on top of that, possible INR, INAD, refunds,  etc..โ€ฆ.. a job lot sale with a collector is starting to look real promising. ๐Ÿ˜‰

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Because, Jane, you'd only get one third of what they're worth.

I had a B & M buying and selling that stuff, and that's what I gave my estimates on.

oopsโ€ฆโ€ฆ missed that bit.  So obviously you didnโ€™t allow much haggle with customers. 
but if you only offered a third of its worth, then your profit margin must have been great! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know what the going selling rate for my antiques and collectables are, so I haggle, and Iโ€™m good at it. I also understand that B&M buyers need a profit margin on their resell. Still worth it in the end. 

Iโ€™ve never sent stuff the auction house, so I canโ€™t comment on that as a seller, but Iโ€™ve attended many and have bought lots. โ€ฆ used to be one of my favourite pastimes until covid shut everything down.  
Went to an antiques auction on Sunday, actually. The first one since covid started.  

Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply