Cross border trade custom taxes

kea5053
Community Member

Hi guys, do you guys have any ideas or experience for selling item to oversea? I've recently had a transaction that's going to Italy and the item will need to pay custom duty taxes in Italy and in order to make the delivery faster my courier service had paid the tax to release the shipment from custom. My buyer had noticed this and he refused to pay the custom taxes as he said he is not aware of the custom duty tax before he purchase and he will open a dispute if I'm not going to pay the taxes. I'm not sure what I should do as my item has a very thin margin and I don't know whether eBay or Paypal will protect buyer if he is not willing to pay the tax. Are you guys can share me some experience and advise me? Thank you

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Cross border trade custom taxes

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

In view of the fact that your courier has paid the Customs charges I doubt that there is much you can do about it.

I have never heard of this happening....which courier did you use?

In future you need to have a disclaimer on your listings that buyers are responsible for any Customs or Import charges levied by their country.

You really cannot bill them after the event and when you have paid the charges.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes we are using DHL express and the system was paid it automatically. 26 pounds that charged by on VAT. If item was delivered and I will also lose in dispute? Thank you

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Perhaps members on the eBay.com boards may have some advice for you.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

I was wondering ,as there was no mention of Australia in the opening post

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

I was wondering ,as there was no mention of Australia in the opening post

The mention of "cross border" gave away their  location.
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Hi, I listed my listing in Australia and buyer should aware it is cross border trade. Yea, I'm Australian seller. 

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Ahhhh. Ok, shows you are registered in America on the account you are posting on

Was the account you sold on registered in Australia ? 

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

My apologies...thought you were  registered in the US...sorry I can't help with your predicament.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Hi, no worries. Anyway thanks for your advise. Yea, that's my another account and It listed in Australia. 

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply