Cross border trade custom taxes

kea5053
Community Member

Hi guys, do you guys have any ideas or experience for selling item to oversea? I've recently had a transaction that's going to Italy and the item will need to pay custom duty taxes in Italy and in order to make the delivery faster my courier service had paid the tax to release the shipment from custom. My buyer had noticed this and he refused to pay the custom taxes as he said he is not aware of the custom duty tax before he purchase and he will open a dispute if I'm not going to pay the taxes. I'm not sure what I should do as my item has a very thin margin and I don't know whether eBay or Paypal will protect buyer if he is not willing to pay the tax. Are you guys can share me some experience and advise me? Thank you

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Cross border trade custom taxes

The account the OP is posting on now is registered in the US

Sorry, I do not sell overseas as eBay make it hard enough for sellers to sell just within OZ so I can't offer any advice 

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Hi, no worries. Yea it is tough. and sadly I got a one. 

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

I haven't come across this but assume the following - 

The buyer needs to pay the duties to have the parcel released.

(As it has always been, the buyer is responsible for any import duties payable and the seller is not required to pre-inform a buyer of the fact)

Unfortunately eBay sides with the buyer most times but I would put in a call to eBay explaining that the buyer is refusing to pay import charges.

Virtually all my transactions with Italy as a buyer or seller have had problems.

I don't deal with Italy any more.

Not to mention the stories of theft in mail that I have heard of.

image host
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Kopes, the seller's courier has prepaid the Customs charges and the buyer does not want to repay the seller.

I really can't see that the OP has a leg to stand on as the charges are paid and the item is on the way.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Yes I realise courier has pre-paid and I assumed the buyer needs to pay the courier to receive the item upon delivery otherwise it will be returned and courier gets the tax refunded if not imported.

image host
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Yes courier had prepaid the tax amount and receiver will need to pay when the thing is arrived. So I will need to credit to buyer to protect from negative feedback or any returns? Aww.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Don't refund anything.   If the buyr leaves a negative you can have it removed as ebay states tha the buyer is responsible for the Customs charges

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

I have noticed the courier companys do this and it saves lengthy delays. I made the mistake of using Aust. Post to Spain and now the items sits in customs for a few weeks while they contact the customer regarding fees to be paid. 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply