Feeling SO cheated..

cabo389354
Community Member

I posted a few weeks ago about my buyer opening a dispute, claiming her item was 'not as described'. (Samsung Soundbar).

I spent a lot of time navigating my way through ebay to find how to contact, what to do etc as this is my first time encountering this problem. It is extremely complicated for those who don't know how!

I emailed ebay twice, not understanding that the dispute was opened through Paypal. I did not provide the uploads needed for me to dispute her claims as I just did not understand what the hell I was supposed to do.

Now the dispute has closed and they have withdrawn $200 from my bank (plus fees - which ebay has kindly refunded).

I have finally been able to make contact with her to ask what the actual problem was and she tells me I said the box was unopened (!!!)..... and some screws were missing.

Firstly, I have all messages in archive and that is not the case..she asked if it 'was new and still under warranty' (which it is- and I told her so) and secondly, the photo in the listing shows it IS opened!! .... to show the actual item!!!

I'm so angry and upset. I contacted her so many times through the delivery process to make sure it was on the way and that she was going to get it. I went above and beyond.

I would happily refund the lot if something actually was wrong on my behalf but this is just BS.

Back into ebay after many years away and I'm not feeling very confident at all OR happy about continuing.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Feeling SO cheated..

Sorry this happened, but it really does pay to understand what is going on when selling online.

As an inexperienced seller, putting up high priced items for sale is always risky. 

What you now need to do is get her to pay for the item. She doesn't get to keep it and get a refund.

You should write her a firm, polite and short message to say that should she not pay for the item, you will be forced to take legal action. Firstly, you can send her an invoice through Paypal and give her 3 days to pay it. Explain that she needs to settle the issue, otherwise it will be handled over to a debt collection agency.

Another forum user had a great bit of text to use to facilitate this with the buyer. @countessalmirena - could you rustle up your past explanation of how the seller should go about this?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

How ridiculous to say she thought the box was unopened when she saw the item outside the box... Good that eBay refunded you though.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

Yes, I will be wiser next time!

The issue is she had already paid, but asked through the dispute for $200 back - which she got because Paypal took it from my bank.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

Yes, they refunded me the $22 for the dispute, but not the $200 that was taken back out of my bank account.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

Have you tried to contact PayPal to explain the situation? I know that the dispute is closed, but just as eBay occasionally helps after a dispute is closed, they might too.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

Refer again to my message -  I have added another option for you to consider.

Inform buyer that you require repayment of the item within 3 business days to your bank account (maybe not through Paypal or any method they can dispute again) otherwise - 

1) The matter will be referred to the Small Claims Court and you will be seeking costs plus repayment of the item

2) The matter will be referred to a debt collections agency

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

I think you should also still be able to appeal PayPal's decision.

That's what an article from last year says:

1. Log into your PayPal account;
  2. Select the โ€œResolutionโ€ tab, and choose โ€œClosed Casesโ€ from menu options;
  3. Choose the dispute you wish to appeal and click on โ€œAppeal.โ€ The tab will open into a new window with an online appeal form;
  4. Enter all the relevant information and submit your form.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

Yes, I do agree that if PP can be appealed, that would be the best outcome.

As I understand it, there was an Ebay case which the buyer lost and you can explain that they opened a case in Paypal which you did not realise and therefore you inadvertently  were not able to provide the necessary information in a timely manner. You can just point out that there was no reason for the buyer to open the PP case other than their desire to gain both the item and a refund. 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Feeling SO cheated..

With the OP being on managed payments,  then the buyers payment and dispute is between  paypal and ebay.    Ebay then deal with the dispute with info provided by the seller.

As far as I am aware, there is no longer an avenue for the seller to dispute the matter with paypal direct.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply