How to send money to Bali to buy food for a family

Hi, I want to send a family in Bali who are struggling regular payments of $30 to help to buy food. How can I send it in either aussie $ or rupiahs to her please? I have an email but the first $30 is not going thru. Thanks for help. I can try Western Union if she can send me her bank details but paypal will be quicker and easier for us 

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: How to send money to Bali to buy food for a family

I'm not sure why you think this has anything to do with eBay, unless you're paying for a listing here.

Try sending from Paypal, not eBay, to the email address of your beneficiary.

If you have tried that and the payment is not going through, maybe the scammer didn't expect any responses. Or Paypal is protecting you.

Edit: They can't feed themselves but they have internet access and a Paypal account? Bells.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

If they do actually have a Paypal account then get them to check that the email address in Paypal is correct. I think if you send in AU$ they will be charged a transfer fee and if you send in Rupia you get the fee.

Edit to add, don't use Western Union or bank transfer that will cost you heaps.

As dave said, "bells ringing?'

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Nothing to do with ebay except I have found ebayers most helpful with advice before. I tried paypal and it did not work as rupiahs are not in the list and USA $ did not work either and paypal has limited help at the moment. They are definately not scammers, we have known this family for 14 years, all have lost their jobs and nearly everyone in Bali have acess to a phone these days. We keep in touch on facebook over the years. The elder daughter opened a paypal account at our suggestion, it would be beyond her parents any technology. And by the way they never asked for hep, we suggested it. $30 goes a long way in Bali, gosh we used to pay that to go to the pictures once upon a time, so consider this a better way now to spend our $30 a month. If we can organise it to be sent.  I appreciate you thinking we are gullible but we certainly are not and, and you are being cynical at the end. A phone plan in Bali is next to nothing. In this time of our lives we have to all be kind to one another, and if we an help someone why not. Be happy.   

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

ps did not mean to click this at all as success and your reply certainly was not

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

@justcruising49 wrote:

ps did not mean to click this at all as success and your reply certainly was not

I can only go on the information provided.

If you don't want answers based on limited information you choose to initially provide, don't ask the question.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I know that but I never said they could not afford to buy food. I only wanted to know how to send money really

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

IF the daughter has a paypal account ask her to check that you have the correct email address.

If it is correct then there is no reason that it should not go through.

Make sure you use the Personal Payments and fund it with a bank account or paypal balance and you will not pay any fees.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Hi, thanks. Tried again today and only way I could send $30 was clicking as a purchase as it comes up free to send to family and friends within Aust. only, then it had to be converted to US$ so only US17 but that is OK as it is something. If they get that amount over in Bali I will be happy, as a little goes a long way. I also used my paypal balance thanks

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Sorry but you have done something wrong.

When you log into your paypal account you should click on Send at the top of the page.

It comes up with a box to enter the email address and at the right hand side there is a button that says to send to family and friends overseas.  

Click on that and it gives you a choice of countries to send to and converts the payment into that currency unless you specify a different currency.

I have been regularly sending and receiving money from Canada and the USA for over 35 years now and never had a problem.

You will be losing a lot of money in conversion fees.....first into US$ and then back into whatever currency your friends decide to convert it to.

If you are going to be sending money regularly ask your friends what currency they would like to receive.  That way you can send your AU$ and convert them into that currency which means just one conversion fee.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply