Unfair treatment from eBay with regards to account

Hi all,

I started a seller account with eBay a while back. After about 2 months, I requested for an increase in the selling limits (am on 50). eBay told me they couldn't do this because 'I was not in charge of my inventory'. Basically they said I was dropshipping. This came as a HUGE surprise to me because I had never drop shipped at all. I had/have all my items on me. I even have the receipts and all for all my items. But eBay kept insisting I was dropshipping. I asked them why they kept accusing me of that, and I offered to provide them photo eveidence of ALL my inventory including receipts. They didn't want to know. All they kept saying was that I was dropshipping. Later when fulfilling an order, I realised that I had not updated one of my addresses. I had shifted houses, and I forgot to update that address on ebay. So I thought perhaps that was the problem. I rectified it, then I called/chatted with them about what I thought the problem was. They said they were going to fix the issue and said I should wait for about a month to have the system clear out. I waited. A few months later, I ask them to increase the selling limits since what I thought was the problem had been rectified. But I was surprised to get the same response of dropshipping. They said, they had escalated the issue, but I never got any positive response. It is 4 months now and my inventory is rotting in my house. I have contacted ebay endless times, and they never help. They cannot tell me why they say I'm dropshipping because 'they can not reveal how their system works'. I am really frustrated as my store stopped ranking, I no longer make sales, and I can't increase my inventory. I am thinking of shifting to another marketplace for my products and where they have better customer care and they listen to their sellers better. I am wondering if anyone has ever faced this issue, and if so, what did you do. I decided to reach out to the community before closing my ebay account for another marketplace. I can't keep paying monthly fees for a store, put in so much time and money in my listings, and only end up with unfair treatment from ebay. If anyone has been in a similar situation, please help. Regards,

Arthur M

Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Unfair treatment from eBay with regards to account

I have now sorted it. I talked to customer care and they made the option available so it's now back to the low price, at free postage and with the untracked letter. 

Message 41 of 65
Latest reply

That's a good option. Let me try it.

Message 42 of 65
Latest reply

My concern for you,  is that you still have that name, still have items that are traditionallty drop shipped.  also you have the history of dropshipping (yes even though you say you dont).   Someone else suggested use you other account.   I would start totally a fresh,  but thats just my opinion.

Message 43 of 65
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice. I will consider it. My only worry is that if I start afresh, won't ebay not rank my store at all as I will have zero selling history and zero everything? Which items are traditionally drop shipped? The dog seatbelts or the shoes/clothing? Thanks again for you advice.

Message 44 of 65
Latest reply

You have 9 sales and `14 feedback. You aren't exactly a high volume seller. For a start, as I said in previous posts, get rid of that store. You are throwing money away by having it. You aren't going to lose rankings by not having a store. In fact, most of the sellers in these forums don't have a store, because they don't need one. They can be selling 1,000 a month, and not having to pay dead money for a store.

Did you see the bit about changing your handling time from 1 day?

Message 45 of 65
Latest reply

Ok. I'll open another store and start afresh and forget about this one. I'll leave it open but I won't put any new items on it (unless this will somehow affect the new store). I'll use the new store with the handling times you've proposed. Thanks for the advice. 

Message 46 of 65
Latest reply

s_d wasnโ€™t saying โ€œClose that store and open a new oneโ€; she was strongly suggesting (and I agree) that you close your store and just sell without one. You donโ€™t need it. You do not have the volume to justify the ongoing cost of a store.

You can sell without having a store. As s_d has pointed out, many sellers on eBay sell without a store โ€” and very successfully.

Message 47 of 65
Latest reply

Don't close your account, just close the store. You don't need one. It's a pointless waste of money when you're not selling much. There are countless high volume sellers who don't have a store, and never have. Why spend $30 a month, only to sell say $5 a month? Why would you want to lose all that money, for absolutely nothing?

If you "open another store and forget about this one", you're still going to be paying for this one, unless you close it. Then you'll be paying for 2 stores, while making very few sales. You may as well take your cash out into the back yard and burn it.

Message 48 of 65
Latest reply

Thank you all for your advice, responses and feedback. After thinking through everything, and considering all advice, I think the best way forward for me is to close (or abandon) this account all together, and open a new account and start afresh, with a new history. I won't open any store, and I'll keep to the basic cover arts as suggested. Thank you again for all you advice. Was a great learning experience.

Message 49 of 65
Latest reply

I'm not sure why you feel the need to start a new account for selling, you have half a dozen positive feedback for sales which will count towards getting your restrictions lifted, with a new account you'll start from fresh with no selling feedback at all.

If you're going to start a new account, just use that for buying.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 50 of 65
Latest reply